Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

AI Builder to read car license plate

Hi Community,
I have an idea for an app that I would like to scan a scar license plate from a mobile device and input that into a powerapps field. Would the forms processor work for this?

Thanks,
CT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: AI Builder to read car license plate

Hi

I don’t think form processor is the right model for this. It would be a lot easier to use the inbuilt Text Recognition (OCR) model. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ai-builder/prebuilt-text-recognition

You will need to collect the image in a Power App, pass it through Power Automate and the Text Recognition model, the return the output from the model to the Power App.

That should work, and no need to build your own model!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi

I don’t think form processor is the right model for this. It would be a lot easier to use the inbuilt Text Recognition (OCR) model. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ai-builder/prebuilt-text-recognition

You will need to collect the image in a Power App, pass it through Power Automate and the Text Recognition model, the return the output from the model to the Power App.

That should work, and no need to build your own model!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Please Hamish, tell me how you've been able to trigger a Power Automate Flow from within a Canvas App??
I've been trying to do so for a while for similar scenarios and I get errors when trying to connect with the flow in the App.
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @ZePowerDiver ,

Good point, I haven't actually built this before.  I've just tried to do it but I am unable to get my Power App to connect to the Flow either.  The problem being that the Flow must be inside a Solution to use the Common Data Service (current environment) connector which contains the Predict action to use with AI Builder.  However, when I build a Power App within the same Solution I do not see the option for Flow under the Actions tab of the Power Apps maker.  If I build the Power App outside of the Solution then I see the Flow action button but it cannot find my Flow within the Solution.

Is this the same thing you are experiencing?

What a pain!  

An alternative work around would be to....

• Take the picture in the Power App and save it to an entity (e.g. Note) in CDS
  • Then use an automated Flow to trigger on the record in CDS being created
    • Run the predict action and save the result back to CDS
  • Get the Power App to show the result from CDS

Not an elegant way to do this but that should work 😕

Highlighted

Hamish, that's exactly my problem and why I was wondering how you resolved this out!
Good workaround idea using CDS entity.. like you say not elegant and time to process may not be so great, but good thinking!!
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@ZePowerDiver , I have just created an Idea for this so hopefully Microsoft can add this feature.  I would be surprised if this is not already on the road map.  Vote up! 😃

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Trigger-Flow-from-a-Power-App-within-a-solu...

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @HSheild@ZePowerDiver,

The AI Builder connector is now available for flows outside solutions. You can now create a flow outside a solution with an AI Builder action and call that flow from a canvas app. 

I hope this unblock some of the scenarios you were thinking on building. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,825)