cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Accessing the message body of an email to find data

Hi

I know I can access PDFs and images as attachments to identify data but is it possible to simply access the body of an email?

We collate form info from customers via a CMS and then email the results as key value pairs to an inbox. The existing process involves manually entering these values into an old back office system but I want to automate this.,

However I'm struggling to work out hos to read the body of an email (o365).

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Re: Accessing the message body of an email to find data

Hello @acorn-digital,

Thanks for posting the question.

You can access the message body of an email by selecting the Body output coming from the Outlook connector, as you can see in the following screenshot:

2020-07-11_21-43-26.png

Here is a sample flow with some ideas of what you can do with the email body:

2020-07-11_17-40-12.png

• The step #2 of the flow creates an HTML file in a folder in OneDrive with the content of the email. For each email that is received, a new HTML file will be created in OneDrive.
  • The step #3 and #4 transform the body of the email that normally comes in HTML to plain text. Then similar to step #2 it creates a simple text file in OneDrive with the content of the email.
  • Steps #5 and #6 take the HTML file created in step #2 and converts it to PDF and saves it to OneDrive. Once you have at least 5 PDF files of on type of email, you could train an AI Builder form processing model that can learn how to extract fields and tables form PDF files that have the same template.

You can also leverage UI Flow to enter the data into your old back office system. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hello @acorn-digital,

Thanks for posting the question.

You can access the message body of an email by selecting the Body output coming from the Outlook connector, as you can see in the following screenshot:

2020-07-11_21-43-26.png

Here is a sample flow with some ideas of what you can do with the email body:

2020-07-11_17-40-12.png

• The step #2 of the flow creates an HTML file in a folder in OneDrive with the content of the email. For each email that is received, a new HTML file will be created in OneDrive.
  • The step #3 and #4 transform the body of the email that normally comes in HTML to plain text. Then similar to step #2 it creates a simple text file in OneDrive with the content of the email.
  • Steps #5 and #6 take the HTML file created in step #2 and converts it to PDF and saves it to OneDrive. Once you have at least 5 PDF files of on type of email, you could train an AI Builder form processing model that can learn how to extract fields and tables form PDF files that have the same template.

You can also leverage UI Flow to enter the data into your old back office system. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hey - thanks very much for this, it's exactly what I needed!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,257)