cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mzandegiacomo
Level: Powered On

Automatically republish Powerapps

Hello together

Microsoft suggests to republish PowerApps every 3-6 months to make sure that they keep compatibility for upcoming releases of PowerApps. We have >200 Apps and we would like to implement a solution which automatically republishes our apps. We are using the PowerApps Powershell comandlets. Unfortunattely, a republishing of an App, which has not changed is not possible. This means that we have to change comething in the app manually and then republish the app. Does anyone has a solution for the automated republishing? How are you dealing with that fact that apps need to be republished but there is not automated solution for that?

Thanks for your help on this!

Cheers,

Martin

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Automatically republish Powerapps

mzandegiacomo

Hello @v-yuxima-msft 

Thank you for your reply. I do not think that https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Automatically-republish-duplication-detection-ru... is covering our needs.

Can you confirm, that if we do not republish Apps on a regular basis that they might become incompatible with newer releases of PowerApps or even stop working?

What is the official suggestion from Microsoft to treat mission critical Apps when there are no new features needed and the performance improvments of a newer release can be neglected?

Thank you for your reply!

Martin

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mzandegiacomo ,

Thanks for your post and reply and your question is very great.

Could you please reference the answer of this case:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Do-we-need-to-periodically-rebuild-and-publis...

And the information as:

common-issues-and-resolutions

If you want to find one more perferct reply,please don't hesitate to:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards.

Yumia

Whilst not ideal, you could technically leverage the Get-AppVersions function which will return a list of all versions of any given app, following which call the Restore-AppVersion passing the most recent version of the app as appVersion parameter for that function, and finally republish that app using the Publish-App function.

Announcing new Admin and Maker Connectors for PowerApps and Flow

This in effect enables you to create a new version of the app and republish it despite the fact that no changes were in fact made to the code. You should however ensure that the "Lifestyle" state of the most recent version of app when calling the Get-AppVersions function is "Published" and not "Draft" such that you don't inadvertantly publish apps that may in fact be in a work-in-progress state.

I tested this using the Connector Browser tool shared on the Announcing new Admin and Maker Connectors for PowerApps and Flow blog post and it seems to me at least to work be a potentially viable workaround...

That said though, this approach may need some further thought as equally as in hindsight I suspect the PowerApps release no wouldn't change with the restore - duh!!

mzandegiacomo

Hello @Office365Master 

Thanks for replying on my question. It is exactly the case that the PowerApps Release will not change with that approach. It always takes the recent version when the app was published the last time. But we would need a solution where we can automatically republish apps with the newest PowerApps release to have the newest improvments on board in our apps. In our Environment, we are talking about 200+ Apps.

Hello,

you could make use of the PowerApps cmdlets, one of the cmdlets available is Publish-PowerApp https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/gdpr-admin-powershell-cmdlets/

mzandegiacomo

Hello @ManuelaPichler 

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunatelly, the Publish-PowerApp Cmd is not suitable since it republishes the app with the release Version which was used since the last republish. So it will always get republished with the same release Version unless you change something manually in the app, get a new draft with the newest release Version and then publish this version of the app.

But i would like to automatically republish my app with the newest Release Version to have included the latest Features and Performance improvments even the app itself has not changed Since we have 200+ Apps in Production, this would be a huge timesaver.

Best Regards,

Martin