Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FreeNit
Level: Powered On

Cannot read property 'tableName' of undefined

Hello.

I am trying to connect my SP library to the PowerAPPs. Every time I receive the next message:

PowerAPP.png

I do it through the next option:

112.png

Then connect the SP site and input SP library name.

I have tried to connect the SP list, Callendar and all was OK.

Could you help me to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Cannot read property 'tableName' of undefined

Let me clarify my original response.  If you create a PowerApp from Blank you can add a SharePoint connector and configure it to use a SharePoint document library as a back end. What you can't do is create an app starting with data and point it at a document library.  Document libraries are focused on the files , not on the metadata. You can only create new apps from data when using lists.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

I think its because you are trying to connect to a document library and not a list.  i don't think PowerApps supports SharePoint document libraries yet.

FreeNit
Level: Powered On

According to this education video, it's possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xMLprDTjU&t=2271s

But I can`t repeat it because of the problem mentioned above.

Super User
Super User

That video uses a Flow that is launched by a PowerApp.  Flow is supported in Document Libraries, but PowerApps isn't yet. I've done things similar to that video using Flow, but I don't think the video ever tries to access the document library in the PowerApp, only in the Flow.

Super User
Super User

Let me clarify my original response.  If you create a PowerApp from Blank you can add a SharePoint connector and configure it to use a SharePoint document library as a back end. What you can't do is create an app starting with data and point it at a document library.  Document libraries are focused on the files , not on the metadata. You can only create new apps from data when using lists.

kbo19
Level: Power Up

''but I don't think the video ever tries to access the document library in the PowerApp''

In the first three minutes of the video, the user can be seen making a document library, naming it, and then connecting it with PowerApps as the first thing he does before starting the process.

It was lazy of the OP to link to the wrong timestamp. It starts at 01:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xMLprDTjU

I am encountering the same problem. I keep getting the original message 'Cannot read property 'tableName' of undefined'.

The video clearly shows that this IS possible. I don't understand why this thread is marked solved.

Any ideas?

Super User
Super User

You are correct that you can create a blank PowerApp and connect it to a document library.  What you can't do is create a PowerApp from a datasource and point that to a document library.  By default document libraries are filtered out of the connector when connecting to a list.  That is the connector that the start from data template uses.  You can use document libraries in Powerapps. You can't create a PowerApp by using the Start from Data functionality with a library.

kbo19
Level: Power Up

I am sorry, probably I am just completely out of it, but then how does the guy in the video do it? Is it a fake video? 

When I follow the exact same process (and this goes for the original OP too).

1. Create an app in [....]

2. Sharepoint (phone layout)

And then when we enter the site URL and then type in the list name, we get the ''Cannot read property 'tableName' of undefined'' error. But I am doing exactly the same as the guy in the video, who makes an app. I gave you the timestamp. 

I guess my brain works in a different way as I am not by default a technical person, but I have successfully worked with Office 365 and Powerapps. My question is simply: why does this work for him, and not for me, and why does everyone on the internet answer this question by just talking about something else? That's not a knock because I definitely appreciate the help. But I just don't understand. 

What am I supposed to do? 

Super User
Super User

Not sure how he got that to work.  But I think its more truthful to say that "the video shows that it used to work". MS has changed the Start from Your Data wizard since the early days and I suspect that they've tightened up the logic so that no longer works.  Currently in PowerApps it has different actions for getting an item vs getting a document.  All I know is that it doesn't work that way anymore and its not supposed to.

You can create a blank app and then add the document library as a datasource.  From there you can build almost anything you want.  You just can't get the wizard to do it for you anymore.