cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoGaribay
Level: Powered On

Default database dependencies

We have several "Production" and "Sandbox" Environments in our PowerApps Admin Center, but there is one "Default" Environment that needs to be upgraded to the latest CDS for Apps.

I have several questions:

1. Is this "Default" environment the parent of the other environments? 
  2. How can I know if/what other environments will be impacted if I proceed to upgrade the Default environment to the latest CDS for Apps?
  3. Is it safe to upgrade this Default environment without affecting the existing Apps and Flows that depend on this environment?

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Default database dependencies

Hi @MarcoGaribay ,

1. No. Environments are independent. Each environment is created under an Azure AD tenant, and its resources can only be accessed by users within that tenant. 

When you create an app in an environment, that app is only permitted to connect to the data sources that are also deployed in that same environment, including connections, gateways, flows, and Common Data Service databases. For example, let’s consider a scenario where you have created two environments named ‘Test’ and ‘Dev’ and created a Common Data Service database in each of the environments. If you create an app in the ‘Test’ environment, it will only be permitted to connect to the ‘Test’ database, it won't be able to connect to the ‘Dev’ database.

According to the documentation:

"

If you intend to upgrade your previous version CDS database, you must start the first step in the upgrade process before March 15, 2019.

If you do not start Step 1 before March 15, 2019, we will disconnect your database and store your data for 30 days before deleting it. If you wish to reconnect a database, you must contact support before March 29, 2019.

Important: If people take no action, we will expect that they are not interested in upgrading and their databases will be disconnected on March 15, 2019 and  deleted after 30 days.

"

Since you still  didn't upgrade, your database should have already been diconnected. Please contact support now as soon as possible here:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ticket/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MarcoGaribay

Hi Mona, 

Thank you for your reply.

I started the first step yesterday and was completed at 7:38 PM last night.

Does that means that this environment wasn't yet disconnected?

Also, I don't see any Resources in the Step 2...

Should I still contact support and request the database to be reconnected?

MarcoGaribay

I proceeded to step 2 with no Resources so I raised a ticket with Microsoft.

Microsoft explained to me that in that case, there were no Apps or Flows using the (old) CDS. 

So, I proceeded to Step 3 and the upgrade went successfull, with only 1 warning:

XrmSystemUserForAadPrincipalMissing: We’ve finished migrating your approvals. Please note approval records where approvers are no longer in the tenant or are disabled in the tenant were not migrated and won’t be listed under Approvals History.