cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shell
Frequent Visitor

A better way than Excel table to add items to Word template

I have a Flow that adds sales items to an Excel table and that table gets added to a Word template.

It's problematic, messages e.g. file locked for editing and the table doesn't always update in the template.  I also need to clear the table to reuse the file.

There must be a better way. Can you help please?

8 REPLIES 8
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @Shell  unfortunally this is a kind of bug that Excel has arround was microsoft flow, I tought was solved but you can try opening a microsoft support case.

See could be solved for the ms enginering team.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Is there a different way to do it that doesn't involve Excel?

shure @Shell  you can use sharepoint List

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Already using SharePoint lists.  I want the workflow to add information to a content type template ( I can do that successfully using SharePoint designer) but I also need to add repeating data. 

I could update an excel table and input that into the template but it doesn't always work.  I then need to clear the rows from the table so it can be used again, that's when I get the file locked message.

I can create an HTML table but how do I get that into the Word document?

TesDA
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

You can use a variable, thats how I'm doing it. This is from sql, but the same would work from sharepoint.

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

TesDA
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Just note, something I've learned the hard way. Sharepoint needs time to think. Make sure to add plenty of delays in there so that the flow doesn't move faster then the time it takes for sharepoint to process your request.

@Shell I would do it the way that @TesDA  has explained. Instead of putting your figures into Excel, just load them into a JSON array and use that as your source of repeating data for the Word template. 

The Excel connector is so fussy, which you can work around with a do until loop, but it can take ages for the file to free up. 

Shell
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @TesDA 

That's the approach I'm taking but unfortunately we don't have the premium action 'Populate Microsoft Word template' 😢

I have the arrays set up but how to get that into the content-type template in the document library

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,623)