cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SandraAkujobi
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

A flow to send out approvals

So I have been trying to work on a flow that when a manager views and approves a weekly entries automatically another manager views and approves and so on till it reaches the accounts department for them to add in sage. The managers would be put into groups with a group email associated with them, because as it goes a time sheet gets sent to a site manager, construction manager, contract manager and then accounts (basically in this format: G1; Site managers, G2;Construction managers, G3; Contract managers, G4; Accounts), Also there are several managers for each in case a the manager in charge of a particular employee in unavailable to view the time sheet another in that group could view it and approve.

First flow will be from G1 - G2
2nd Flow: G2 - G3
3rd Flow: G3 - G4

Below is the flow I'm using but it failed to run and I don't quite understand what's gone wrong. I've tried different flows and they too weren't running successfully and also not sending any approval emails. 
Screenshot (95).pngScreenshot (96).png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SandraAkujobi ,

Your Condition 2 has run into the If no branch to run the Update item 2 as screenshot below:

1.png

Please make sure to choose the Outcome dynamic content from the start an wait for an approval action to compare with Approve.

2.png

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi

Can you share a screenshot from your Flow design showing the inputs you added to 'Start an wait for an approval' ?

Also if you used expressions, please share the text

Thanx!

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi @efialttes Sure, below are images of the flow design and inputs. The expressions used in the conditions are: 

empty(outputs('Compose'))
empty(outputs('Compose_2'))

Screenshot (99).pngScreenshot (100).pngScreenshot (101).png

I changed the dynamic content on the start and wait for approval for the title heading and ran the flow, it still failed but the start and wait for approval worked this time. the other actions and condition still failed.

Screenshot (102).pngScreenshot (103).png

v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SandraAkujobi ,

The error message told that the title is missing or empty, you have inserted the Name dynamic content into the Title column of start and wait for an approval action, please make sure the Name column has value when you create an item in the sharepoint list.

Best regards,

Alice       

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-alzhan-msft So I've got it to work now like the flow runs successfully and I'm getting the email to approve/reject and it updates in the list. I just tried one again and it works but the only minor issue is that I clicked on Approve but in the SharePoint list it's showing up as rejected. 

Screenshot (104).png

Hi @SandraAkujobi ,

Please share the screenshot of the flow run histroy.

Please share the screenshot of the "Update item" action and the "Update item 2" action in your run history.

And check if the value of the G1 column in the update item action in the flow run history is equal to Approve.

Best regards,

Alice       

Hi @v-alzhan-msft here is the flow run history;

Screenshot (109).pngScreenshot (110).pngThe image below is the input for the update item that showed up as rejected in the SharePoint list. 

Screenshot (105).png

Also I've added in G3 to the flow as you can see in the images below I copied what we did using the compose expression for G1 and G2 and I ran it but it (G2) wasn't updated in the SharePoint list (how we want to update the G2 column by checking that G3 column is blank, basically the same thing we did for G1 and G2). I will still have to add G4 as well to the flow so I just wanted to know if the expression can be used for them all.

The expressions used in the conditions are;

empty(outputs('Compose_2'))
empty(outputs('Compose_3'))

Screenshot (106).pngScreenshot (107).pngScreenshot (108).png

Okay I kind of understand why the G2 column isn't being updated it's because the G1 field is updated as rejected so the issue is to find out why the field is coming out as rejected even though I clicked on approve in the approval email.

Hi @SandraAkujobi ,

Your Condition 2 has run into the If no branch to run the Update item 2 as screenshot below:

1.png

Please make sure to choose the Outcome dynamic content from the start an wait for an approval action to compare with Approve.

2.png

Best regards,

Alice       

View solution in original post

Hi @v-alzhan-msft  Thanks so much, I got it to work now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,296)