cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
paulculmsee
Level 8

A workaround for current limitations of flow actions in SharePioint.

As many of you know, currently Flow has limitations with SharePoint integration that makes many common real-world scenarios difficult to achieve, including: 

• The Create File action provides no way to update library metadata when uploading a file, nor does it return the item ID of the newly created file
  • The Create Item action provides access to metadata but only works on lists
  • The Update Item action works on document libraries, but requires the item ID of the document to do so. Since Create File does not provide it, we have no reference to the newly created file
  • The Get Items function allows you to search a list/library for content, but cannot match on File Name

Basically this means it's hard to upload a file to SharePoint via flow and then set metadata on it. 

Given this is such a common scenario, I came up with this workaround. This method is not ideal, but will work without a problem for many scenarios. Basically the method is:

1. Use Create File action to upload a file
  2. Use the Get Items action to bring me back the metadata for the most recently created file in the library
  3. Grab the ID from step 2
  4. Use the Update Item action to set the metadata on the recently uploaded image.

I fully document the approach here as part of a series of posts that shows how to call an API in PowerApps and pass the data back to Flow...

http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2017/07/07/hows-the-weather-using-a-public-api-with-powerapps-part-...

Hope this helps someone, and hopefully the need for such a method is eliminated sooner rather than later...

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
paulculmsee
Level 8

Re: A workaround for current limitations of flow actions in SharePioint.

Actually I just found a much better way to do it that has helped me go bulk photo uploads from PowerApps with tagging to SharePoint 🙂

http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2017/07/14/the-currently-best-way-to-update-sharepoint-document-met...

The gist of it is that the web service used by the Get Items action is different to the styandard SharePoint REST endpoint and certain things don't work... The filter to apply to the list is:

FileLeafRef eq '[File name from previous flow action]'

Paul

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @paulculmsee,

Thanks for the sharing.

For Flow related blog, you may also consider posting in the following site:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/bg-p/FlowBlog

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
paulculmsee
Level 8

I'd be happy to post to that blog, but I can't see how? Am I msising something obvious?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @paulculmsee,

Follow the blog below:

Introducing the Microsoft Flow Community Blog

Quoted:

"

Everyone is welcome to contribute! To get started, simply message me, @JessicaC, with a rough title for your post and a couple of sentences to describe your topic, or a link if you want to excerpt a post that already exists on your own blog. Together we’ll preview how your post will look once it’s done, and set a publication date.

"

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
paulculmsee
Level 8

Actually I just found a much better way to do it that has helped me go bulk photo uploads from PowerApps with tagging to SharePoint 🙂

http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2017/07/14/the-currently-best-way-to-update-sharepoint-document-met...

The gist of it is that the web service used by the Get Items action is different to the styandard SharePoint REST endpoint and certain things don't work... The filter to apply to the list is:

FileLeafRef eq '[File name from previous flow action]'

Paul

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,802)