cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hustle-Flow
Frequent Visitor

Abbreviate/Concatenante

Hi Flowers! 

I have a need to take one or more words and abbreviate/concatenate them into a three letter representation of those words like so:

Corel Draw = CRD

My Application = MAP

Historian Data Collector = HDC

Is there a way to do this in Flow via an expression?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hustle-Flow ,

Is there a rule that can be followed to splicing this word?

CRD is to get two letters from the first word, MAP is to get two letters from the second word, there seems to be no rules to generate the desired abbreviation.

What I can do with Expression is to rely on the following rules to form abbreviations.

• If it is two words, take the first two letters from the first word, and then take the initials from the remaining words to form the abbreviation.
  • If it is three words, take the initials to form the abbreviation.

Image reference:

• Use split() function to split the target into spaces to produce an array. Initializes a variable of type string to store the letters of the abbreviated word.

8.PNG

• Traverse the array and determine if the number of words is 2 or 3. If it is 3, just take the first letter of each word.

9.PNG

• If it is 2, then it is judged whether the current array element is the first element. If yes, take the first two letters; if not, take the first letter.

10.PNG

• Use Append to string variable action to integrate letters into abbreviations.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

An overall constraint I have:

1) The resulting data has to be limited to three letters

What will your expressions do if one word is encountered?

What will your expressions do if four or more works are encountered?

Thanks again, this is looking great!

HF

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (1,492)