cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Add Excel rows to create item on SharePoint

Hello,

I am trying to create what seems like a simple flow, but am running into some trouble. I want the scheduled flow to create and SP Item when someone adds a row to an Excel Business document. 

Now what I believe might be the problem is my format and set up with the excel file. The SP page has attributes that have multi-select options so I need the excel file to allow for multiple items to be in one cell. With that, I created a data validation with a VBA allowing for the drop down data validation list to select multiple items and put them all into that one cell. 

To give my scenario with an example: Managing applications and where they are housed. The table will hold information like what the application is, the manufacturer, the type of software, and the departments and roles that are approved for use. The roles and departments are the columns that can have multi-select options since multiple roles and departments may be approved for that application.

The error code is: 400 - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly clientRequestId: 805aee2f-4c5f-4726-b7d8-348097282ff1 serviceRequestId: 805aee2f-4c5f-4726-b7d8-348097282ff1

I don't know if it is because of the format and data validation with my VBA, but if not what else could be the problem with this flow?

Thanks,

Blake

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Re: Add Excel rows to create item on SharePoint

Hi @bamatthews7,

Could you share the screenshots of flow configuration, column type of SP item and Excel Document instance?

You said you need an excel file to allow for multiple items to be in one cell, are you put multiple records into one cell for the creation of SP item's multi-select options? Just like this?Annotation 2019-06-26 144902.png

Since the error information is format incorrectly, confirming the data format and your flow processes are necessary.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-lin-msft,

Thank you for your reply. I have mapped the SP item's columns to the columns in the excel file and selected the respective attribute on the flow map, but that is when I am not using the VB Project (See Yellow Note on Excel Picture).Excel_Example.PNG

Rows_Present.PNG

Flow_Mapping.PNG

For me to have a drop-down list that allows a user to select multiple items in a cell, I have to have this VBA code which forces me to save it as a .xls or .xlsm. I do want the cell to do that if capable in a data validated list and then publish those attributes to the multi-select column in the SP site. I have tried it without a data validated list and just manually type the options out, but even then, the flow doesn't seem to work. I tried typing out the options instead of using the drop-down and believe everything is mapped correctly, even on the .xlsx file, but it still won't work. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-lin-msft again,

I attempted something else based on a forum I saw on this issue, but it is now not even letting me save it and is giving me the Red Error line in the images. Thoughts on both methods? Parallel_Test.PNGMapping.PNG

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @bamatthews7,

There is a blog about how to enable macros in Office files, you can refer to it:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/enable-or-disable-macros-in-office-files-12b036fd-d140-4e74...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@v-lin-msft That doesn't really fix the fact that the flow doesn't work in either format or the fact that you cannot use Macro-enabled workbooks in Flow. Flow only supports .xlsx excel files. 

Please refer to the incorrect Flow and help troubleshoot that, not anything with the background data of the workbook because I understand that it won't allow me to utilize a VBA data validated list.

Best,

Blake

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@efialttes  This is the flow I was referring to I could use further assistance on! 

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,416)