cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
leyburn19
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Add Rows in a table

I have multiple excel files all named to suite a different site but have the same table structure.  I have a flow that:

 

1. When a new record is created in acognito form adds the data to a sharepoint list

2. Gets the dats from that list based on a filter that selects status and site (site comes from step one)

3. I then do a List Rows in Table matching excel file to the site.  This allows me to use a vraiable for the site in the file location box

4. It then removes any rows found in preparation for new rows:

 

here is my my problem

 

In building the Add Rows to table I get an an error as it requires an address to an actual table.  While the table does exist I need to address to refer to the excel file as a variable. The addrows does not like this part.  I guess it cannot use an empty varaible for designing.

 

Is there a possible solution?

5 REPLIES 5
Brad_Groux
Super User II
Super User II

Without a detailed screenshot, I'd suggest adding a Create a table step using a dynamic parameter for the name. Then call that table dynamically in the Add rows step. 

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

I don't belive that will work either as the table will not exits till runtime for the add rows ro refer to.  It is a runtime proble.  I tried hard putting the required data into the variable as a default but this would work either.  I need 29 diffent table names for this solution (thankfully I could create them with flow).    I think my only solution is to have branches for each one,  or use conditions.  This would not be a problem but potentially I could have more than one site accessing files at teh same time so I see separation is required

 

addrow.PNG


@leyburn19 wrote:

I don't belive that will work either as the table will not exits till runtime for the add rows ro refer to.  It is a runtime proble.  I tried hard putting the required data into the variable as a default but this would work either.  I need 29 diffent table names for this solution (thankfully I could create them with flow).    I think my only solution is to have branches for each one,  or use conditions.  This would not be a problem but potentially I could have more than one site accessing files at teh same time so I see separation is required

 

addrow.PNG


I would not recommend Excel for this workload. I strongly suggest you utilize SharePoint lists, and then export to Excel as needed. The Excel connectors have severe issues and limitations that you'd most certainly encounter with your chosen design. Including, a limit of 100 API calls per 60 seconds, and file lockouts of 6-12 minutes any time an Excel file is accessed.

For these reasons, most Microsoft Flow experts overwhelmingly recommend avoiding Excel if at all possible - because it is nearly impossible to know if/when a file lockout will occur on spreadsheets that are accessed frequently, or by multiple Flows, accounts, or users. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Thanks I am aware of the issues with excel (more by trial and error than anything else).  I have found ways to deal with most of them.  I do extensively use Sharepoint,  but I need to exract things to excel fo third partys who neeed that dat that way.  In this case it is trying to overcome the potential lockout issue for what will be rare occasions more than one site will access at the same time.

 

I appreciate your time on this.  It would be great if there was a file in use check option in flow.  I have had a thought that I could do this by having a configure to run after process if the flow fails.  It likely only will fail based on file being in use.  


@leyburn19 wrote:

Thanks I am aware of the issues with excel (more by trial and error than anything else).  I have found ways to deal with most of them.  I do extensively use Sharepoint,  but I need to exract things to excel fo third partys who neeed that dat that way.  In this case it is trying to overcome the potential lockout issue for what will be rare occasions more than one site will access at the same time.


Again, you can use an export to Excel after all of the data manipulation to a SharePoint list. I spent months trying to force Excel into doing what I needed it to do with Flow becuase of client requirements, it simply isn't worth the headaches. Now I tell my clients that Excel simply isn't an option for anything other than a data input source, I can't and won't use it for output. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.


@leyburn19 wrote:

I appreciate your time on this.  It would be great if there was a file in use check option in flow.  I have had a thought that I could do this by having a configure to run after process if the flow fails.  It likely only will fail based on file being in use.  


If this is functionality you would like to see added to Flow or a Flow Template, please consider submitting it to the Flow Ideas page, where it can be voted on by other users, and tracked and commented on by the Flow team.

The problem is fairly specific to Excel, because of how Excel's online services works. They run on top of SharePoint as it's own web-service due to the heavy lifting that Excel can do.

SharePoint Lists and Cosmos DB are basically the future of Logic Apps because of their APIs, which greatly increases connectivity, performance and stability. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (44,745)