cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Add SharePoint item with lookup column hangs/processes forever

Hello all,

 

I built a flow that takes rows from an Excel table and adds them to an existing SharePoint list. The SharePoint list contains a lookup column to another SharePoint list.

 

If the flow does not update the lookup column, then the whole flow completes quickly e.g. a couple seconds for 10 items.

 

If the flow does add values to the lookup column, then it just shows "Running" forever. In one test, I let it run for over an hour before I cancelled it. No items were actually added.

 

Once again, the SharePoint list is an existing SharePoint list. (Finding out how to do that alone was already difficult enough!)

 

Is this a known issue or am I simply doing something wrong? Thank you!

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

 

Hi @i_power ,

 

Could you please provide the screenshot of the flow configuration and run history so that we could check the issue better?

 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

 

Hi @i_power ,

 

Could you please provide the screenshot of the flow configuration and run history so that we could check the issue better?

 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi @v-bacao-msft 

 

Thanks for responding. I was already implementing a workaround to avoid this when you asked for the screenshot. I decided to build a new flow with the issue so that I could use it as a screenshot. That's when I discovered the cause of the issue. This time, instead of just spinning forever, it failed quickly so that I was able check the reason.

 

The problem was that the lookup column required the numeric ID of the lookup list item, not the text value. When you create a SharePoint item manually, the lookup column gives you a dropdown of meaningful values to select from. When adding the SharePoint items from Excel, the IDs have to be specified.

 

That created another problem. When the user is creating the Excel, they don't know what the IDs are (or even that they exist). I had to solve that by adding a sheet to the Excel with a data connection to the lookup SharePoint list, then use VLOOKUP (or INDEX/MATCH/XLOOKUP) into this sheet to convert the user's values into the corresponding IDs.

 

Anyway, your suggestion that I provide a screenshot helped discover the cause of my original problem (thereby avoiding my ugly workaround)! Thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,523)