cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Add a new row in Excel everytime a file is added or modified in a SharePoint document library

Hi,

We have SharePoint set up with a To Company X document library, and a To Company Y document library.  We want to be able to keep track of the date, time and user every time a file is added or modified and which directory was effected.  Essentially we want to use any existing SharePoint audit abilities for a document library or create our own with a Flow.

If we have to create our own I see it possibly functioning as follows.  E.g., the Excel file could be set up like this:

Header column would look something like this:

To Company       From Person      Date Posted     File Name      Type of Change

Data would fill in something like this:

Company X         Tom                   Jan 7, 2020       Test File         New File

Company X         Tom                   Jan 8, 2020       Test File         Modified

Company Y          Sue                   Jan 8, 2020       ABC                New File

Company X         Ed                      Jan 8, 2020       Test File         Modified

Does SharePoint have a better way to track changes to a document library (i.e., a live audit file of what is happening in the directory)?  If yes, if you could point me in the right direction.

If no, can this be automated with Power Automate?  If yes, if you can point me in the correct direction.

I guess my hope is that if nothing pre-exists to do this that I can connect Flow to a SharePoint library and trigger on the Modified Date attribute if that is possible.  "Type of Change" would need to compare Modified Date with Created Date and act appropriately.

I'd likely need a Flow to trigger in each of the two document libraries but ideally they then update the same Excel file.

Any help pointing me towards the correct path or letting me know if it can't be done would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Add a new row in Excel everytime a file is added or modified in a SharePoint document library

SharePoint has built in version history for each file.

There are tools such as sharegate that can export the version history and all versions if required. There is a free trial.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Add a new row in Excel everytime a file is added or modified in a SharePoint document library

Hi @lkron,

Just like @Gristy said, Version history will be a better choice.

Versioning is on by default in SharePoint libraries, and off by default in SharePoint lists. For setting up versioning, see Enable and configure versioning for a list or library.

View the version history of an item or file in a list or library.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

SharePoint has built in version history for each file.

There are tools such as sharegate that can export the version history and all versions if required. There is a free trial.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lkron,

Just like @Gristy said, Version history will be a better choice.

Versioning is on by default in SharePoint libraries, and off by default in SharePoint lists. For setting up versioning, see Enable and configure versioning for a list or library.

View the version history of an item or file in a list or library.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks to both you and Gristy.  We are using the versioning now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,282)