cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Add meta data from Dynamics CRM

Dear Community,

We just integrated our annotations for opportunities, quotes, contracts and the like in Dynamics CRM with Sharepoint.

Now management would like to add a category (metadata) to files we upload to Sharepoint via the integration in Dynamics. (image below)SharepointMetaData.PNG

There are many custom software developments out there that let you add extra information to files:
1. https://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2017/08/crm-metadata-saved-sharepoint-columns/ 

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOzcwJmQDY&feature=youtu.be

But all I need is a field, be it text or option, in which users can specify what type of document they are adding to Sharepoint via Dynamics. There must be a Flow we can think of that either:

- Generates a popup when clinking on "Upload" or "Save" asking users to choose a "Type"

- Assigns a "Type" to the file depending on a field in the same Dynamics entity (the status of the contract, for example)

- Opens a popup that let you choose a  "Type" to assign to the files selected in the dynamics view of Sharepoint 

- Just any way of saying "This file is this "Type"" 

Please let me know what you think is possible.

Thomas

"Type" being short for the Meta Data Characteristic. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Add meta data from Dynamics CRM

Hi @RIdderxxl,

I think it is possible to add metadata into the Dynamic CRM, you could refer to this document:

Create edit metadata create new metadata or use existing metadata

But not sure generates a popup when clicking on "Upload" or "Save" asking users to choose a "Type" could be possible if the "Type" column is metadata. If it is a custom column in SharePoint library, you could set the column to require the column contains information, then if a file upload, there will be popup to let user set the Document type, maybe you could have a try:Annotation 2020-05-26 112652.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Add meta data from Dynamics CRM

Hello @v-litu-msft

Thank you for you response, I have added the "Document Type" column to our Sharepoint but neither in Dynamics nor in Sharepoint am I prompted with a pop-up asking for information.

Dynamics:

Dynamics.PNG

Popup in Dynamics: DynamicsSave.PNG

Sharepoint:Sharepoint.PNG

Can we not make a flow that assigns a value to the column "MetaData" or "DocumentType" and which we can start from Dynamics? As in:
1. Select a document

2. Start flow

a. Pick Document Type from list

b. save

3. Flow assigns chosen Document Type to file in Sharepoint. 

With kind regards,

Thomas

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (10,095)