Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amatrox
Resolver I
Resolver I

Add value to selection column in a SharePoint

Hi all,

I´m trying to figure out, how to update a selection column in a SharePoint. Let me explain my needs in a demo:

1. We have a list, which contains all locations (Countries) of my company: 

Amatrox_0-1626850327001.png

2. We have a document libary which contains GDPR documents with a country column, to allocate a document to one or more countries:

Amatrox_1-1626850493653.png

The country column looks like this:

Amatrox_2-1626851189772.png

Now I need a solution for the following:

If my company opens a new store in a new country, I need to have this country in the list and as a selection for the country column in the docuemnt libary. 

My plan was the following: Add a new country to the "country" list. The flow automatically adds the new country as a new selection in the "country" column in the document libary. Background is, that we want just one place to add the country and not at two.

Hope you can understand my problem and may have a solution for me 🙂

Cheers,

André

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ekarim2020
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This can be accomplished by using another SharePoint list to store the country list.  Your GDPR Documents Library's Country field can then lookup the values for country from the country list. This will allow you to add or remove countries from the Country list without needing to modify the flow.

Below is an example of a Contracts Library that uses a currency field. The currency values are not stored in the Contracts Library. The currency values are taken from another SharePoint list called Currency List:

ekarim2020_0-1626856427255.png

The currency column is a Lookup column. Below I can create a new Lookup column:

ekarim2020_2-1626856679158.png

Back to the Contracts Library, the currency column is a Lookup column. The currency column looks up its values from the SharePoint List Currency List using the CurrencyName column:

ekarim2020_1-1626856545817.png

Just to point out that the the Contracts Library does not store the actual value of the currency name (eg. "Albania Lek ALL), it stores the selected currency's SharePoint list ID number (eg. For Albania it would be 3). The ID is a unique number that SharePoint generates for each item in the list:

ekarim2020_3-1626857014184.png

Hope this helps.

Ellis

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ekarim2020
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This can be accomplished by using another SharePoint list to store the country list.  Your GDPR Documents Library's Country field can then lookup the values for country from the country list. This will allow you to add or remove countries from the Country list without needing to modify the flow.

Below is an example of a Contracts Library that uses a currency field. The currency values are not stored in the Contracts Library. The currency values are taken from another SharePoint list called Currency List:

ekarim2020_0-1626856427255.png

The currency column is a Lookup column. Below I can create a new Lookup column:

ekarim2020_2-1626856679158.png

Back to the Contracts Library, the currency column is a Lookup column. The currency column looks up its values from the SharePoint List Currency List using the CurrencyName column:

ekarim2020_1-1626856545817.png

Just to point out that the the Contracts Library does not store the actual value of the currency name (eg. "Albania Lek ALL), it stores the selected currency's SharePoint list ID number (eg. For Albania it would be 3). The ID is a unique number that SharePoint generates for each item in the list:

ekarim2020_3-1626857014184.png

Hope this helps.

Ellis

View solution in original post

Amatrox
Resolver I
Resolver I

@ekarim2020 

thanks for your input! Also figured this out, that the lookup column is the best solution for this case.

But thank you anyway for your detailed answer!

Cheers,

André

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,720)