cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuidoBeulen
Regular Visitor

Adding a new value in a Lists item created from Forms flow

Hi guys,

Ive got a problem with a List that gets newly created items added from a new repons from this Form. The form populates some but not all columns in the sheet, and I want to automate the one that gives the item a unique numerical value. Previous items have values and I want the flow to add '1' to the highest existing value in that column each time a new item is added in the list (which could happen through the Form, but could theoretically also happen manually in Lists itself...)

How would a flow for this work? 

Also, how would you guys advice me to learn more about composion of Flows?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @GuidoBeulen 

SharePoint already have an auto increment Id column but the only issue is if you delete the list record then you can't use that number anymore.

Please have a look at this post

How to add a Unique Identifier to a SharePoint list or library - SharePoint Maven

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @GuidoBeulen 

SharePoint already have an auto increment Id column but the only issue is if you delete the list record then you can't use that number anymore.

Please have a look at this post

How to add a Unique Identifier to a SharePoint list or library - SharePoint Maven

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

GuidoBeulen
Regular Visitor

Hi ABM,

I did not know that ID function. Would have been great if we did not alrealy have ID-numbers that are not in every case present of unique in the list. So a few items (because of choices in the past by people other than me) are double or triple, so do not match the Unique ID count used by SP. 

Might still decide to just use this as an alternative, displaying the old ID while using the SP-functionality for the new situation (post introduction of Lists instead of Excel)...

Would still like to know how you might build this using flows, but thanks a lot for the suggestion! 

Hi @GuidoBeulen 

If you want to build it manually then you need to create a custom column called Identifier or Reference. Then before creating a list record always check the latest record using Get Items action step, set the top count 1 and sort as desc. This way it will always return the latest record. Find the reference value, increment the value and use this to create the new list record.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

In theory I can understand the steps. Just not how to get them in the Flow: which command to select, what order, if all the ideas I have about the code could even work... any chance you could help with that? Im a complete noob here...

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,090)