cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Adding project assignment field along with approval email

Hi all,

I have a workflow where user submits a project form which then sends approval email to manager. 

What I would like to do is, once the manager has approved it, he/she should be able to assign the project to someone in team.

"Assigned To" is a people's field in Sharepoint list which is linked with the form.

Is there any way add a customise field in approval email where manager can type person's name who will be assigned the project and then approve it?

Or any other way it can be done?

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Adding project assignment field along with approval email

@dhirenk 

Hi there!  A couple of options depending on your comfort level:

1. There is a comments field on the approval and you can use that later in the Flow to resolve to an O365 user...BUT, I imagine it won't be very forgiving.  (meaning:  they'll have to type in the name/email exactly as it is in the directory).
  2. Depending on the amount of choices (and your plan), you could present the assignments as options on the approval.  So, button choices might be "Reject", "Approve - Assign to Steve", "Approve - Assign to Janet", and "Approve - Assign to Jared"
  3. This might be a good use for a PowerApp, as well

There might be other options, but those are the ones I came up with.

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @dhirenk,

I'd create another field in your SharePoint list that you update when someone is assigned via the Approval process in your first Flow.  You'd then do a comparison against that field every time an item is created or modifed to check if it is equal to the current "Assigned To" field.  If they are in sync, the Flow ends.  If they are different, send an email to the new Assignee.

You could handle the comparison either in the Trigger Conditions section of your Flow Trigger, or use a Condition action after your trigger.

Take care!
Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution so that others can find it.

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@dhirenk 

Hi there!  A couple of options depending on your comfort level:

1. There is a comments field on the approval and you can use that later in the Flow to resolve to an O365 user...BUT, I imagine it won't be very forgiving.  (meaning:  they'll have to type in the name/email exactly as it is in the directory).
  2. Depending on the amount of choices (and your plan), you could present the assignments as options on the approval.  So, button choices might be "Reject", "Approve - Assign to Steve", "Approve - Assign to Janet", and "Approve - Assign to Jared"
  3. This might be a good use for a PowerApp, as well

There might be other options, but those are the ones I came up with.

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@edgonzales 

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. 

My SharePoint list has "Assigned to" column currently, which I would like to get filled when a manager assigned the project to someone in the team and person who is assigned should receive an email.

Assigned To columnAssigned To column

At the moment I am using Microsoft Forms where requester fill and submit the request. Managers get email, he/she approves or denies. What I would ideally want is manager should be able to assign the project to someone in the team, person should receive an email. Also, manager can change assignement in the future, just in case original assignee is not available.

Is it possible to trigger an email when SharePoint list item's particular field gets updated. For example, if a manager opens list item and assign name in Assigned To column, that's when flow sends an email to the person?

You said, PowerApps would be of good use here, can you explain me how?

Thank you in advance.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@dhirenk 

I'm not great in PowerApps (yet!) but there is loads of documentation/blogs out there where folks are doing similar things.

I'll invite some of the SharePoint experts to answer your question on the trigger, but one thing to look out for is that you may want to consider the trigger to be on the save, vs. on the change of the field.  If I accidentally select the wrong email address in the dropdown, there's a possibility the email will be triggered for the incorrect person, no?

Keep at it!  You'll get this.

-Ed-

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @dhirenk,

If you want this to happen automatically your trigger would be "when an item is created or modified," but you'll need to do a few things to make sure you're only running the rest of the Flow based on a change in the "assigned to" field.

The cleanest solution is to create a manually started Flow from inside your list, something that the Manager can run when he or she actually changes the Assigned To field.  That way there is no question about when or how to run the Flow, no wasted time or potential duplicate emails to the same Assignee.  You can even create a button for the Flow start by using JSON column formatting in your list.

Let me know which way you'd like to go, and we can work on it from there if you need more assistance.

Take care!

Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution so that others can find it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @AKRogers 

Thank you for your input.

So far I have done what @edgonzales suggested, have custom approval list.

Custom approval listCustom approval list

Extract the name of the person and update Assigned to column with it as well as send the person email.

Flow to extract the name of the person and update list.Flow to extract the name of the person and update list.

Is there any way to create trigger on "When item is created and modified" but only triggers when particular column is modified? In my case "Assigned To" column. May be using expressions?

So I can create another automatic flow, just in case if manager modified Assigned To column, in case original assignee is busy.

Thank you in advance.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Many thanks @edgonzales 

@edgonzales wrote:

@dhirenk 

I'm not great in PowerApps (yet!) but there is loads of documentation/blogs out there where folks are doing similar things.

I'll invite some of the SharePoint experts to answer your question on the trigger, but one thing to look out for is that you may want to consider the trigger to be on the save, vs. on the change of the field.  If I accidentally select the wrong email address in the dropdown, there's a possibility the email will be triggered for the incorrect person, no?

Keep at it!  You'll get this.

-Ed-

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @dhirenk,

I'd create another field in your SharePoint list that you update when someone is assigned via the Approval process in your first Flow.  You'd then do a comparison against that field every time an item is created or modifed to check if it is equal to the current "Assigned To" field.  If they are in sync, the Flow ends.  If they are different, send an email to the new Assignee.

You could handle the comparison either in the Trigger Conditions section of your Flow Trigger, or use a Condition action after your trigger.

Take care!
Ashley

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @AKRogers 

Sounds good. I will give it go and come back here if I come across any issue.

Thank you so much for all assistance. 

Best regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,975)