cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NebulaRoss
Frequent Visitor

Adding specific attachments to email response, based on the form results

Hiya Community,

Could anyone provide me some assistance in regards to a flow I am trying to build?

I have an issue trying to attach a specific sharepoint file to an email response based on the microsoft form results. For example, I have a form with one of the questions results are Level 1 and Level 2. What i would like to do if send the responder an email with a specific PDF depending on which Level they selected.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-LilyW-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NebulaRoss 

I set up a flow, you can take a try with the screenshots below.

This is my test Form.

vLilyWmsft_0-1634778312164.png

Flow in details:

vLilyWmsft_1-1634778330561.png

vLilyWmsft_2-1634778376881.png

vLilyWmsft_3-1634778436399.png

When a new response is submitted and selected level1, the Responder will receive an email with Document.pdf

vLilyWmsft_4-1634778599986.png

When a new response is submitted and selected level2, the Responder will receive an email with another Pdf file.

vLilyWmsft_5-1634778665879.png

Hope the content above may help you.

Best Regards

If my solution helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

OliverR-82
Resolver II
Resolver II

I've just set up a quick test form myself and can confirm that answers to multiple choice questions seem to get an added line attached to them when you process the results.

If the only 2 options to that question are "Level 1" and "Level 2" then you could work around this by evaluating on the first 7 characters of the "Which level" dynamic content; that would give you just "Level 2" without the added line.

OliverR82_0-1635160528196.png

The expression is as follows:

substring(<insert your dynamic content here>,0,7)

There may be better or more elegant ways to work around this, but this seems to work.

So, to be clear: instead of just inserting your dynamic content in the Switch action, you would write the above expression in the expressions window and insert that. While writing your expression, you can insert your "Which level" dynamic content in the expression as described above.

15 REPLIES 15
v-LilyW-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NebulaRoss 

I set up a flow, you can take a try with the screenshots below.

This is my test Form.

vLilyWmsft_0-1634778312164.png

Flow in details:

vLilyWmsft_1-1634778330561.png

vLilyWmsft_2-1634778376881.png

vLilyWmsft_3-1634778436399.png

When a new response is submitted and selected level1, the Responder will receive an email with Document.pdf

vLilyWmsft_4-1634778599986.png

When a new response is submitted and selected level2, the Responder will receive an email with another Pdf file.

vLilyWmsft_5-1634778665879.png

Hope the content above may help you.

Best Regards

If my solution helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hiya LilyW,

Thank you ever so much on the reply. Unfortunately I am getting errors when running the flow.

I have proivded some screenshots below

NebulaRoss_0-1634900101997.png

NebulaRoss_1-1634900113185.png

NebulaRoss_2-1634900298785.png

I have done some research in reagrds to this issue. I have checked the connections and resigned into the sharepoint connection. Apart from that i am not sure what would be the issue as the file path is correct, and the rest is the same as your solution.

If you can let me know any solution to solve this. that will be brill.

Hi @NebulaRoss 

From the pictures you shared, you seem to have typed the enter key in Switch action.

vLilyWmsft_0-1635140215080.png

Please make sure that only "Level" is put in 'On' field in Switch action.

vLilyWmsft_1-1635140274376.png

Best Regards.

Hiya LilyW,

Thanks again for the assistance with this flow.

I have reviewed the changes and a little confused regarding the 'Enter Key'.

Within my form, the question is Which Level this is why the dynamic content is 'Which Level' instead of 'Level' as shown in your flow and form.

This is my form

NebulaRoss_0-1635147776818.png

This is the Dynamic Responses available

NebulaRoss_1-1635147809129.png

There is no character input after 'Which Level' within the 'On' Switch. I just select the Dynamic Response and then move onto the next sections.

NebulaRoss_2-1635147871885.png

If you can assist any further, that will be greatly appreciated.

OliverR-82
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @NebulaRoss ,

What @v-LilyW-msft is saying is that, from your screenshots, it looks like the Switch case resolves to:

Level 2
<new line>

Notice that there seems to be a new (empty) line included. In your 'Case' and 'Case 2' actions you are evaluating on the strings 'Level 1' and 'Level 2' without that new line included. As a result, neither case will evaluate to true.

I would try to find out why the result is evaluating to 'Level 1/2 <new line>' and correct it so that it resolves to just 'Level 2', if possible. If that's not possible, you could try changing your 'Case' and 'Case 2' actions so that they check if the outcome is 'Level 1/2 <new line>'.

Does that make sense?

Hiya @OliverR-82 

Thanks for your assistance. Unfortunately I am still learning power automate. I am not sure how/why there would we a new line in the code when applying the dynamic response within the Swtich. Also, how do you access the switch content as code. this may be a lot easier to see why errors occur.

Sorry for being a pain regarding this request.

OliverR-82
Resolver II
Resolver II

@NebulaRoss  can you post a screenshot of how you have configured your Switch action? So, not a screenshot of a flow run (which shows the results of a flow run), but how you have configured it while editing your flow. That way, we can see if you (accidentally) added the new line yourself after the dynamic content, or if that is how the result is returned by MS Forms. So, this part of your flow:

OliverR82_0-1635154249291.png

It should look like that.

It should NOT look like this (note the added space, which indicates a new line):

OliverR82_1-1635154311123.png

OliverR-82
Resolver II
Resolver II

Oh I apologize, I just notice that you already provided a screenshot of that action in your earlier posts. You can ignore my request then.

So, judging from your other screenshots, it looks like what MS Forms is returning as a response is:

Level 2
<new line>

I don't know why it does that. But, if that's not something you can change, you could try adding a new line to the Switch action. So, after the Dynamic content, press enter so that it DOES look like this:

OliverR82_0-1635154709212.png

Hiya @OliverR-82 

Not a problem.

I will give that a try and see if that makes any difference.

Yes, I understand your confusion now. I have no explanation as to where the extra line comes from and if it is something that you can change or configure in your MS Forms configuration; I am not knowledgeable about MS Forms. You could try adding the extra line in the Switch action as per my previous post, and see if that works.

I can confirm that it has just added a 2nd line.

NebulaRoss_0-1635154914288.png

@OliverR-82Would removing the switch and re-adding it have any change?

OliverR-82
Resolver II
Resolver II

Ah, I see now. My suggestion was wrong, I apologize. You would not add a new line in the Switch action, but rather in the 'Case' and 'Case 2' actions. However, it does not allow you to do that, so I'm out of ideas for the moment.

Yes, deleting the Switch action and adding it again is probably a good idea at this point. 

@OliverR-82Thanks for all your support, this is definately a learning curve for me.

I have removed and re-added the switch and once tested, received the same error. This is really confusing.

OliverR-82
Resolver II
Resolver II

I've just set up a quick test form myself and can confirm that answers to multiple choice questions seem to get an added line attached to them when you process the results.

If the only 2 options to that question are "Level 1" and "Level 2" then you could work around this by evaluating on the first 7 characters of the "Which level" dynamic content; that would give you just "Level 2" without the added line.

OliverR82_0-1635160528196.png

The expression is as follows:

substring(<insert your dynamic content here>,0,7)

There may be better or more elegant ways to work around this, but this seems to work.

So, to be clear: instead of just inserting your dynamic content in the Switch action, you would write the above expression in the expressions window and insert that. While writing your expression, you can insert your "Which level" dynamic content in the expression as described above.

Hiya @OliverR-82 @v-LilyW-msft 

Thank you both for your help regarding this. @OliverR-82 your last reply solved the issue and i received the specific PDF for both Level 1 and Level 2.

Awsome work from the pair of you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,907)