cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NM213
Regular Visitor

Adding to a Planner bucket from Lists

Hi

I am trying to build a flow so that when an item in Sharepoint List is reaches its start date it sends a task to planner. I want to make sure that the tasks are grouped into buckets, dependent on the group they belong to in the List. However, so far I either can't make it work, or it makes a brand new bucket for each item.

Before I try the above, I wanted to see if I make this happen by just editing the List. This is the closest I have come:

'When an item is created or modified’

Then

‘Create a bucket’

Then

‘Create a task’

Is there something I can do to make the flow check the buckets against the element that has been modified and then assign it to the correct bucket? I have tried using ‘List Buckets’ and ‘Filter Array’, but I am not getting anywhere.

Once I have this bit correct, I then want to add a part so it regularly checks the start dates and then sends the List item into Planner on the start date. Any help with this part would also be appreciated.

NM213_0-1621074744524.png

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
CasperRoseboom
Helper I
Helper I

You could check if the group from sharepoint already is a bucket in the plan. You could use a variable to store the bucketID in when it is there and if its not in the plan created the bucket and placed the new task there. and use the BucketID variable to asign the task to the bucket.

CasperRoseboom_0-1621091665697.png

CasperRoseboom_1-1621091825941.png

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks for helping

. It sounds correct, but once I get this far I can't put anything in 'Name' in the 'Set Variable' option. I have put 'Value Name' for the Planner bucket is equal to 'Backbone Element' (this is the list of different groups I want to use - they are a set of choices in Lists). Once I do this, it puts another Apply to Each around the condition. Is this correct?

NM213_0-1621100691063.png

CasperRoseboom
Helper I
Helper I

You would have to initialize the variable before. This is my flow. I have a sharepoint list that has a column with a status that is used to set the bucket.

CasperRoseboom_0-1621101155868.png

CasperRoseboom_1-1621101305581.png

Hope this helps

NM213
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the continued help, I think I am close, but now I get multiple buckets setup each time. It also doesn't seem to add the task to the correct bucket, but assigns to multiple buckets. I am not sure why I keep getting the 'Apply to each' around each function I add, I think that is the problem, but not sure how to stop it.

NM213_0-1621153690830.pngNM213_1-1621153753063.png

NM213_2-1621153774697.png

Output in planner:

NM213_3-1621153938329.png

CasperRoseboom
Helper I
Helper I

The extra apply to each would cause some problems. I think you need to select the value from "list of buckets" then there should be only one "apply to each". 

CasperRoseboom_1-1621159826601.png

When you set the variable you also should select the "ID" of the bucket and not "backbone element". After you created the bucket you should set the variable to the "ID" of the created bucket, and the use the variable to set the bucket in the create task option.

CasperRoseboom_0-1621159378598.png

Hope this helps, if not just let me know, i'll try to explain it an other way. Good luck!

NM213
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the continued advice - this is my first complex Flow (can you tell??).

Once I add a condition I get the X equal to Y scenario.

As soon as I add  'Value Name' from List Buckets  as X it adds an 'Apply to each' which is fine and adds 'Value' into the wrap around box. Then if I pick 'Backbone Element' or 'Backbone Element Name' from my 'When an item is created or modified' for the Y, it adds another 'Apply to each'. This is where it is going wrong...

CasperRoseboom
Helper I
Helper I

We've all been there, don't worry. I see i also made a mistake in the flow i showed you (the create bucket wasn't correct).

I thought it might be easier to show you in a video the steps i took, maybe this explains it better:

https://youtu.be/_kVJhxf44KQ 

If you have a list that you want to run through you could do a for each loop to get all the list items. Let me know if you run into more issues.

NM213
Regular Visitor

Thank you for putting the video together, I can see it will help massively. I will give it a go tomorrow and see how I get along. Thanks again!

NM213
Regular Visitor

Your video was great, but I still get this issue...

Flow Error.png

Then when I get to write the function, the dynamic content from the array does not appear?

I am really sorry if I am annoying you. Could it possibly be an issue in my List?

CasperRoseboom
Helper I
Helper I

Don't think it is the list, but i guess it could be. Do you have an example of the list? And what is the trigger you are using?

NM213
Regular Visitor

Here a snippet of the list

NM213_1-1621403095539.png

The trigger is the 'When an item is created of modified' from Sharepoint. Is that correct? 

CasperRoseboom
Helper I
Helper I

That should be ok. When you get apply to each 3 you seem to have the value from sharepoint and not from planner, could you try that?

NM213
Regular Visitor

The value from planner is above. This is the problem I keep getting. I add the Planner value and it adds one 'Apply to each', as soon as I add the Sharepoint value, it adds another 'Apply to each'...

NM213_0-1621495467760.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (41,463)