cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoGorilla
Level: Powered On

Allow approver to edit item during approval MS Flow

I have a business requirement for approvers to be able to edit an item while the approval flow is in progress.  An approver decides to make changes to a document or page during the approval process, a do while will wait for a flag that Approver A has made edits and continue with the approval process.  There could be Approver A, B, C, D, and E.  This could happen mulitple times.  Is there a way to allow for edits and continue the Flow? It can't be published until it goes through this process.

9 REPLIES 9
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Allow approver to edit item during approval MS Flow

@GoGorilla 

Let's see if I understood your needs. Everytime an approver make changes to the document, the current approval process shall be cancelled, and a new approval process shall start, right?

Also, the overall aproval process relies on all aprovers explicitly approving the last version of the document, right?

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

GoGorilla

If an approver decides to make edits, the flow needs to stop, let them make edits, and push it to the next approver.  Then, if the next approver decides to make edits, the flow stops, the approver makes edits, then starts another flow that moves to the next approver.  Right now I am running into the issue with too many nested conditions.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@GoGorilla 

Did you consider implementing State Machines in Flow? Could this suggestion fit your requirements?

Here you are two excellent resources describing this approach. There is also a Template available

https://www.anexinet.com/blog/how-to-setup-state-machine-in-microsoft-flow/

https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/pattern-for-implementing-state-machines-with-microsoft-fl...

Hope this helps

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
GoGorilla

@efialttes Thank you for this information.  I will try it out in the future.  The issue is that the flow must end in order to edit the document on which the current flow is running.  Then start again from that point in the flow.  I just found out that we will be developing in a Government environment that does not have the approval action available yet.  Therefore, I will need to use Send an Email with Options and Set Content Approval.   I am not sure if this allows for editing during Flow.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @GoGorilla ,

It seems that you could create a Flow by referring to the configuration that establishes the sequential approvals.

The next approval can only be performed after the last Approver edit is completed and the approval is completed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/sequential-modern-approvals

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GoGorilla

Thank you for your response. Although that is a great article to keep in the vault, my users need to edit the actual document, not just have the comments and approval outcome updated.

mvalenciam

Hi,

Did you find a solution? If so, Could you share it with me? I have the same issue...

Thoman

I have a similar issue. I have a document library with versioning and require content approval enabled. I have a two staged approval flow configured where the persons manager has to approve a document and once approved, a department manager has to approve the document also. Durring the process, either approver may want to make a change to the document but still approve it. When this happens, the flow will fail because the document changed back to Draft. How would you get around this? 

CARLOS_R

One workaround is to check whether the document's version number has changed right after the approval action (inserting a new "Get Item" action and then comparing version numbers from before and after approval action). If so, the flow is terminated, emailing the user (and the approver) that the doc may have comments or changes that need to be reviewed and considered before re-submitting the doc for approval. 

...Other solutions highly welcome 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 232 members 6,146 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: