cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Applying Variables to an Approval Flow

I have a Three State Approval Flow that I am trying to set start variables for. I need the approval emails sent out to certain employess depending on who initates the flow (adding a new doc to the list). What is the best way to go about this?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Applying Variables to an Approval Flow

Hi JordanGman,

Do you want to trigger the flow by adding a document to SharePoint list?

I create a flow which is triggered by “When an existing item is modified”, then a condition, followed by an action “Send approval email”. I configure the Condition as “Modified By Department is equal to”. A flow screenshot as below:

nested condition.PNG

Then when I run the flow, if the department is equal to “testdept”, an email would be sent to Email Address1. If the department is equal to “SP”, an approval email would be sent to Email Address2.

Hope this flow can be a reference for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-yamao-msft Yes I would like to do something very similar to this except an item being added would initiate the process. Where does the dynamic content pull the dept info from? How do I go about setting this information up?

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-yamao-msft Thank you for your detailed response.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi JordanGman,

Thanks for your reply.

To get the department information, you could click My account>Personal info to edit and get your personal information.

department1.PNG

You could also create a Person/Group column in the SharePoint list to get the department info. Add a Person or Group column, select “Department” in “Show field”.

department2.PNG

Then create a flow looks like below. When a member in department “testdept” add an attachment in the list, an email would be sent to Email1, when a member in department “SP” add an attachment in in the list, an email would be sent to Email2.

department3.PNG

department4.PNG

Here is my steps. Please feel free reply if you need more help.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,371)