Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
felljay
Level: Powered On

Approval Email Reminders

Hello,

I am trying to create a step within my approval email flow where if an approver has not repsonded with X amount of time, an automatic rmeinder email is sent to them.

However I cannot figure out the best way to do that.

Attached is a screen shot of my flow as is:

image.png

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Approval Email Reminders

Hi

Not sure if you can adjust the default approval timeout to mach your needs, but...

If you store the approval status in a data source compatible with Microsoft Flow (for example, Sharepoint lists) you can easily send reminders by means of a second flow.

I mean, if everytime you send an Approval Request you store the target users + approval request date + approval status (pending) on a sharepoint list; and once you receive approval/rejection you update the status to approvel/rejected; then you just need to create a second flow. Such flow could be executed daily, weekly etc. thanks to the recurrence trigger; and would review all entries from the sharepoint list matching the following criteria:

-status pending

-flow executed X days after approval request date

For every item matching the criteria this second flow would send a reminder email

There are several examples documented in this forum for a Flow like the second one I am describing, like:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/SharePoint-Get-Items-Filtered-by-Date-Re...

Hope this helps

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @felljay,

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add “When an item is created” trigger.
  • Add a “Send approval email” action
  • Add a parallel branch-> Add an action-> Add a Delay action. Within Delay action, set delay time for X variable that you mentioned. For testing the flow on my side, Count set to 1, Unit set to Minute.
  • Add a “Send an email” action to send a reminder notification.

Image reference:11.JPG

Note: Applicant is a Person or Group column in my SharePoint list. Within “Delay” action, if you want the reminder email will be sent to the approver after 3 days, please set Count to 3 and Unit to Day.

The flow works successfully as below:12.JPG

Note: If the approver doesn’t make a response to the approval request within one minute, the reminder email would be sent to him.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Kris

Thanks for sharing!

Just one suggestion, can we add a loop to send email reminders every X minutes/hours/days, right? If so, such reminders will still be sent if the approver rejects/approves the request, unless we add the Terminate action block, or declare a boolean variable (sendReminder), evaluate it in the loop and change its value to false whenever the approver answers, right?

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Flow Online Conference

Join us for a FULL day of FREE Microsoft Flow Sessions from some of the best minds in the industry!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 4,364 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: