cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Approval Flow Based On User Job Description & Value

Hi,

I'm looking to build a flow which is able to take an input from a Sharepoint list that has a monetary value assigned to it, and then depending on the value, send out an approval request to staff members who have either an applicable job title or correct hierarchical level.

Would this be possible in Flow?

I've been looking but can't see that it will be possible to find an approver based on job title by vaue

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Approval Flow Based On User Job Description & Value

Hi @chrispclay 

There are different triggers in Power Automate related to SharePoint such as When an item is created or For a selected Item, etc. Once you have these triggers you should be able to read the list items, make decisions using the IF control and send approvals. Could you please explain more about applicable job title or correct hierarchical level?

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

@chrispclay 

There is a connector for Office 365 users, one of its action blocks is Search for users.

I am afraid search is limited to few attributes (display name, given name, surname, mail, mail nickname and user principal name)

a common scenario to use this connector is to search for your direct boss by means of Get manager.

There is another action block, not sure if it fits your requirements since I didn't tested yet

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/office365users/#get-direct-reports-(v2)

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrispclay,

I am afraid there is no way to filter out these users by job title in Office 365.

Are these users with the same job in the SAME group? If they are, you could consider using the Get group members action of the Azure AD connector.

Annotation 2020-03-25 124814.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

HI @abm 

Thank you for your reply.

Probably the best example I can give with what I am looking at is the following:

* A Junior Product Manager has an approval limit of £1,000, but a Senior Product Manager has an approval limit of £5,000. The Senior PM is able to approve a Junior PMs invoices however they are not the Junior PM's direct manager according to AD. The Junior PM's manager will actually be Chief Product Officer who has an approval limit of £10,000. 

I potentially need to somehow automate the finding of a Senior PM's AD account when they're not a direct manager of the person. 

What makes this even more difficult is that there will be different number of hierachical levels between departments, and in the different departments (even with people effectively at the same level in other departments) one person will have a different approval limit to someone in a different department on the same level.  

I'm not sure there is a way to do this from what i have seen. But if from those details there is anything you can think of then that would be hugely helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi @efialttes,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately, because some of the people with different approval limits aren't "direct reports" i don't think we'll be able to do that. Thank you for your reply though!

Thanks,

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,797)