cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Approval Flow Comments, creating endless loop

I have a SharePoint list with an associated Power Automate approval flow.  The default wait for all to approve flow wasn't able to do what I wanted, so I used a blank flow with the trigger "When an item is created or modified."  It is a two level approval process that sends a response with the approvers comments back to the creator if either approver rejects the submission.  Everything was working perfectly until I decided I needed the approvers comments written back to the list for archival and easy review and auditing.  

Now, of course, writing the comments to the item...modifies the item, thus triggering the approval flow again.

I'm not that great with PA conditionals.  I have googled till my eyes hurt but can't find what I think would fix it.  I'm hoping that I can have the flow check to see if the person who made the modification is the same as the creator.  The flow should only trigger if the creator modifies the item (i.e. a resubmission after receiving manager's feedback).  Alternatively, I might be able to add a field for "status" and have the trigger condition to only fire if the status is "submitted" and then have any rejection or approval edit the item status to something like "approved", "returned" or "pending."  However, that seems rather unwieldy in comparison to the first option.  

Any ideas are appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Advocate I
Advocate I

i don't know your exact situation whether you're using PowerApps or regular Sharepoint but this may give you an idea either way:

in my "when list is modified" I have a column called "WorkflowTriggered" and when a item is submitted at the correct stage in my PowerApp it adds a "Yes" to that column. I have a condition to check "WorkflowTriggered"'s value and if it's yes it processes the workflow if it's blank it'll just terminate the flow straight away.

maybe an option for you could be have a condition to check if approver comments is complete and if it is terminate the workflow?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Advocate I
Advocate I

i don't know your exact situation whether you're using PowerApps or regular Sharepoint but this may give you an idea either way:

in my "when list is modified" I have a column called "WorkflowTriggered" and when a item is submitted at the correct stage in my PowerApp it adds a "Yes" to that column. I have a condition to check "WorkflowTriggered"'s value and if it's yes it processes the workflow if it's blank it'll just terminate the flow straight away.

maybe an option for you could be have a condition to check if approver comments is complete and if it is terminate the workflow?

View solution in original post

I am just using SharePoint at this time for this list, but I did plan to customize the form with PowerApps, so your suggestion might work out in the long run.  Thank you for the feedback.  I'm just getting started with all of this and there is so much to learn.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (10,874)