cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rkaur
Helper IV
Helper IV

Approval Flow not sending email. throws error 'InvalidApprovalSubscribeRequestAssignedToMissing'

Hi,

I'm using Dynamics 365 connector to build my Microsoft flow. The requirement is to send out email when stated business requirement is met. But, It fails at the approval step stating - BadRequest. The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidApprovalSubscribeRequestAssignedToMissing'. Error Message: 'Required field 'assignedTo' is missing, empty, or contained no valid users.'.

i have used "variable" step to identify teh value that is stored in teh attribute "Primary Email" of the owner, teh value is coming right and its a valid email address too. Even tried using the 'set variable' attribute at 'Assigned To' instead of this dynamics "Primary Email" attribute. Still fails with same error. 

COudl someone please suggest what could be wrong here ?

Screenshot attached - 

error 1.PNGerror 2.PNG

17 REPLIES 17

Can you add a compose action just before the approval step in here set the value to the dynamic content and variables used in the assigned to field. Then run it and check the value of the compose.
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rkaur,

From the error message, it seems that Assigned to field contains an invalid email address.

Could you share more details on the variable Teststatus? Please make sure it will return a valid email address.

Please also make sure the dynamic content Primary Email will return a valid email address.

I have made the following test.

When a record is created in Opportunities, Initialize Variable of type String.

Get record from Accounts. Set variable to an email address.

Add a Compose action to get the return result of dynamic content Email from the action Get record.

Finally, start an approval, in the assigned to field, fill in the variable and dynamic content Email.

Which works fine.

Please take it for a reference and try it again on your side.

1.PNG2.PNG 

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Pieter and Mabel,

I added the compose step as suggested , ran the flow and the flow failed again with same error. Value in the compose step was fetched properly - a valid email address of the user.

Please see the screensot attached. 

error 3-compose.PNGerror 4-flow.PNG

I just have anotehr thought, could the error be anyhow related to outgoing mail service of my trial instance and not in teh flow ? Basically any servie related issue. ? SInce its a trial i am not sure if service tickets can be logged with the MS team to discuss the same. Please suggest. 

@Rkaur,

Thge compose step wouldn't fix anything it is just for debugging.

Can you clikc on the compose action in the run history and then check the value of the output. If there is anything worng with the data ( and the error message is pointing in that direction) then it should be easy enough to figure out what is going wrong.

Hi Pieter,

I have attached the h screenshot of the Compose attribute in my comment above. It retrieves the email address of the user correctly. 

Used the respective output variable of COmpose in the Approval Email step along with 'Primary Email' attribute, still the flow fails.

Sorry , I missed that screenshot.

I just reproduced your problem.

AssignToMimssing.PNG

I then tried the same with a varibale and then I tried it with a hard coded email address and all gave me the same error.

Then I noticed that I mistyped my email account address and after I corrected it the approval all worked. So it looks like that user you are using isn't a valid user account.

Hi Pieter,

Can you please help me understand below -

when you say "not a valid user account" -

ques 1> do these users need to have xxxx@<trial>.onmicrosoft.com in their email address, that sets automatically as part of ther user id creation ? As i have modified the email id's to something else.

ques 2> i just created a dynamics 365 trial instance with no office subscription. For these users to receive emails from microsoft flow, do i need to configure office accounts as well for these user accounts ?

Just a thought, could you get this user to login to Flow? That should verify that the account is valid.

Hi,

Actually am not able to ..m getting below error.

The role is Users and not admin.  probably thats the issue my flow isnt working ..

User id is "mhayden@<trial>.onmicrosoft.com  and email id i have changed to some gmail account.

but what access role i am misisng here ?permission.PNG

I just created a demo Dynmics 365 environment and I got an Admin account given and an account MeganB. Or at least the notifications told me that there was a MeganB account. When I looked in my Office 365 Amdin center there was no MeganB there. 

For all users within Office 365 my approval simply worked. You migth want to have a look if you can find out anythign starnge about the accounts that you are using related to licences or mailboxes etc.

I did some further investigation and I cvan only get the error when the email address doesn't exist in my environment.

https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/10/30/microsoft-flow-approvals-badrequest-the-request-failed-error-code-...

Hi Pieter..

Thanks for your reply and your analysis.

when you say -"email address doesn't exist in my environment." here are you referring to Office 365 environment  ?

coz i just took subscription for dynamics 365 crm environment and not office 365. so the users i created do not have any valid office 365 account on teh same tenant. Is this the reason why the microsoft flow is failing at Bad request.

i tried another thing now - replaced the user's mail address with its user id ( both same) just to signify email address domain exists on same tenant i.e mhayden@<trial>.onmicrosoft.com so now my flow has gone into endless cycle. Its just not ending.

Im trying to identify if taking a subscription for office 365 and configuring email accounts for these users would fix this.

I think that is the reason. Yes.

Can you create a 365 account for them?

i will try and let you know.

Thanks. 

Hi Pieter,

Can you please check for your user, for whom Approval flow is working fine .. what all product license access he has to ?

here is the screenshot of my user (who is the Approver, to whose email address email is being sent)  who has below accesses.

product license.PNG

Hi,

For everyone's reference, i took an office 365 email account subscription for my desired users and the issue was solved.

Conclusion- 

Microsoft flow will send out email only to internal users of the organization residing on same tenant domain and to the ones who have valid office 365 outloop app and exchange server associated.

nishantrana
Helper II
Helper II

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,225)