cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laura_YMCA
Level: Powered On

Approval Flow with two approvers - second with condition

I'm working on an approval flow for a SharePoint list that we are using to track purchase requests. The first approver is the department manager. If the value of the request is greater than $500, it requires a second approval by our CEO. The issue I am experiencing is when the department manager is approving the request, it is also completing the CEO approval step at the same time. 

If the Dept Manager's approval is "yes" there is a condition that evaluates if the value is greater than $500. If it is, I configured a second approval for the CEO. 

Flow_Dept_Approval.JPG

I think the issue may be with the selecting of the dynamic content for the CEO approval. For some reason, the "Response" dynamic content option only shows up under Department Manager Approval. If I use that one, it is also approving for the CEO as well. 

Flow_CEO_Approval.JPG

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Approval Flow with two approvers - second with condition

Hi @laura_YMCA ,

From your description, I assume that you renamed the action Create an approval (V2) to CEO Approval.

If you want to get a response from the CEO, please use the action Start and wait for an approval instead.

The action Create an approval (V2) just creates an approval, it will go to the following actions once the approval is created.

Further, there is no dynamic content Response could be selected from action Create an approval (V2). In addition, if you don’t want to move on to the next action until you’ve got a response from the CEO, please select Response from the CEO but not the Manager.

Please check the following flow for a reference:

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

For multiple approvals you should likely be utilzing a SharePoint list, as outlined here: Manage sequential approvals with Microsoft Flow

In the example, they build an approval exactly like yours, where anything over $1000.00 must be approved by the Finance department.

This may also be of some use: Create an approval flow that requires everyone to approve

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @laura_YMCA ,

From your description, I assume that you renamed the action Create an approval (V2) to CEO Approval.

If you want to get a response from the CEO, please use the action Start and wait for an approval instead.

The action Create an approval (V2) just creates an approval, it will go to the following actions once the approval is created.

Further, there is no dynamic content Response could be selected from action Create an approval (V2). In addition, if you don’t want to move on to the next action until you’ve got a response from the CEO, please select Response from the CEO but not the Manager.

Please check the following flow for a reference:

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

laura_YMCA
Level: Powered On

Thank you so much for your help! This solution worked. Not sure how I would have know which approval options to choose if you  hadn't been specific. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,791)