Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AlanPilz
Level: Powered On

Approval Status Column not available for setting a condition

Hi

I am trying to create a very simple flow to notify specific groups of people when a document has been approved. The approval process is being handled using the standard OOTB SharePoint 2010 Approval Workflow. The document library shows the Approval Status column that reflects the Workflow status, and is working well.

I was hoping that Flow could be used to extend the OOTB workflow behaviour in such a way that when this status changed to Approved it would triggger an email?

However, when I set up a flow using "When an tem in a SharePoint list is modofied send an email" template and try and add a conditional, the dynamic content does not display the column Approval Status?

As a test I added a new column "Status" and that appears and works well, but it has no association to the approval workflow status.

I feel this should be a very common use case and I'm sure either I am going about tackling the problem in the wrong way or I'm going crazy!

Help wanted from any flow guru!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Approval Status Column not available for setting a condition

Hi @AlanPilz,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Further, do you enable Content Approval within "Library settings-> Versioning Settings" of your SharePoint library?

I suppose that you have enabled Content Approval within your SharePoint library, the "Approval Status" column is created in your SharePoint library automatically.

Using or updating the Approval Status column is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please vote the following idea:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Allow-MS-Flow-to-update-the-SharePoint-list-Content-A...

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DavidMDrever
Level: Powered On

Re: Approval Status Column not available for setting a condition

I am just posting a reply here because this post came up during my own search for a solution and I would like to provide the solution I came up with even though this is an old post.

I came up with a way to do this using an HTTP call into the SharePoint list\library.  This likely isn't anything new, but I wasn't able to find a post that highlighted the steps I came up with.  To determine the approval status of a document\list item you simply have to access it using the following REST call: _api/web/lists/GetByTitle(‘<Title>’)/items(<ID>)?$select=OData__ModerationStatus

More information and some step-by-step procedures can be found here: http://prairiedeveloper.com/2018/12/microsoft-flow-determine-the-approval-status-of-a-sharepoint-lis...

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 212 members 5,561 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: