cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Approval - String as assignedTo fails

I am appending an array of values (usually only one value anyways) to a string, and then attempting to use that string as the assignedTo value for the approval connector. This fails, saying inputs are invalid. Does the approval connection not accept string inputs? If not, any other way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Approval - String as assignedTo fails

Im running into the same problem, assignedto doesnt accept my email string.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Approval - String as assignedTo fails

Hi @rich106,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you want to retrieve a value from an array and append it to a String as the Assigned to value?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When an item is created" trigger, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a "Select" action, From set to Approvers dynamic content of the trigger. Within Map entry, type one entry, The key set to Email and the corresponding value set to Approvers Email dynamic content.

Note: The Approvers column is a Person or Group type column with multiple selections in my SharePoint list. The result the "Select" action returned is an array of email addresses

• Add a Variables-> "Initialize variable" action, Name set to FinalString, Type set to String and Value set to empty.
  • Add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to output of "Select" action.
  • Within "Apply to each" action, add a Compose action, Inputs set to following formula:
concat(item()?['Email'],';',variables('FinalString'))
  • Add a "Set variable" action, Name choose FinalString and Value set to output of the "Compose" action (Click "See more" button to see the Dynamic content).
  • Under the "Apply to each" action, add a "Start an approval" action, Assigned to field set to FinalString variable.

Image reference:1.JPG

2.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:5.JPG

3.JPG

Please check if the string that you provided within Assigned to field includes proper email addresses. 

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,282)