cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lkaspar
Level: Powered On

Approval email layout differs between devices

Hey guys

Is anyone else seeing formatting issues with the standard approval emails?

From the screenshots below,

The web version is the only one that produces the correct result (table correctly displayed, columns left aligned)

Mobile iOS and Power Automate app: column header is not left aligned.

Outlook Desktop Windows 10 - formatting is completely messed up.

Does anyone know why this is happening or what can be done about it?

Outlook web:

image.pngOutlook Web Chrome

Outlook mobile iOS:

202001221436114lukask.pngOutlook Mobile iOS

Power Automate iOS:

202001221437104lukask.pngPower Automate iOS

Outlook Desktop Windows 10:202001221432389lukask.pngOutlook Desktop Windows 10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lkaspar

Re: Approval email layout differs between devices

Hey @Brad_Groux 

I have figured it out. This is a strange one - I have removed the requestor (which was passed in as a trigger parameter) and the table is rendered with no issues. 

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Each app or platform renders the HTML and markup language differently, thus the reason for the discrepancies from app to app and platform to platform. You can do your best to baseline them, but there will always be variations. If you provide a snapshot of your HTML/markup code, we may be able to offer some additional insight - but overall the differences you are showing are fairly common.

If this is functionality you would like to see added to Flow, a Flow Connector, or a Flow Template, please consider submitting it to the Flow Ideas page, where it can be voted on by other users, and tracked and commented on by the Flow team.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

lkaspar

Hey @Brad_Groux

See screenshot below for what I am trying to display. It's just a simple table, ideally it should be a vertical table with the table headers in the left column and the table data in the right column. However, I couldn't figure out how to change direction of a table.

The biggest issue is the lack of formatting on desktop Outlook Windows 10 (last screenshot of OP) - this is where most of the users will be approving from.

Have I misconfigured something for it to not format the table at all on desktop windows outlook?

202001221749084LUKASK.png

Super User
Super User

Outlook desktop will only display plain text or HTML for markup. Have you tried utilizing HTML rather than markup language for your table? You can utilize a DIV Generator to quickly try some mockups. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

lkaspar

Are you sure that's the case? I just created a test approval using the example at aka.ms/approvaldetails and it displayed fine in Outlook:

image.png

Using the Send an email action for my confirmation email, I am using HTML and it displays it just fine:

202001221818031LUKASK.png

the reason I am using the markdown for approval is because it approvals don't support HTML:

202001221822618LUKASK.png

lkaspar

Hey @Brad_Groux 

I have figured it out. This is a strange one - I have removed the requestor (which was passed in as a trigger parameter) and the table is rendered with no issues. 

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,529)