cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Approval flow for publishing major version in Sharepoint online Document Library

Situation:

• SharePoint online document library used for document management system (engineering firm), with Major/Minor Versions enabled, Check-In, Check-Out, and Content Approval
  • Want to create a Power Automate Approval Flow that triggers when someone tries to publish a Major Version of an existing document (ie. status of document changes to Pending from Draft)
  • This is standard functionality required of any document management system, and appears to be doable using legacy Sharepoint Workflows (SharePoint Designer based? sunsetted eventually?), but there doesn't appear to be a straighforward solution for this with Power Automate, which seems to only allow Approval Flows on a manual trigger, or when a new document is created.

Question:

• Is there a straightforward Power Automate Flow template for automated approval of publishing/approving Major Versions in a SharePoint Online document library?
  • If not, is this coming?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Approval flow for publishing major version in Sharepoint online Document Library

Hi @o365_4ccsbizgro  unfortunally the answers are no and no.

But you can try developing by javascript someting in sharepoint.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Approval flow for publishing major version in Sharepoint online Document Library

Hi @o365_4ccsbizgro ,

You should add an extra steps to Approval Power Automate to check if the current version is Major or not, here is an example:

Version.png

——————————————————
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hello @DeepakS ,

Thank you for providing a screen shot on how to build the flow for documents with Minor or Major Versions

I've built the flow, but I don't get an email to approve when the document is published to a Major Version, it shows the condition input as False

This is my workflow:

Annotation 2020-09-10 110402.png

Expression = split(triggerBody()?['{VersionNumber}'],'.')[1]

Results:

1Annotation 2020-09-10 110402.png

Please can you help where I have gone wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Claire

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hello @DeepakS ,

I've managed to resolve my issue,

I changed the expression and used Dynamic content - version number ends with .0 and the flow runs successfully, I have tested this also using a minor version and the workflow did not issue the approval request.

Screenshot 2020-09-11 105639.png

@o365_4ccsbizgro , I am not sure if you found a way to send a workflow against a major version, I had the same query and I did mine this way. Hope this helps?

Kind regards

Claire

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,372)