cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charles-v-D
Level: Powered On

Approval flow "stuck" due to approver not available

hi All,

I have build and deployed a 3-tier approval flow, where each tier consists of 1 or more approvers (yes, we have a old-fashioned company where many steps need to be taken to get something approved... so be it). The flow works very nicely and we achieve huge time-savings with it.... BUT:

When an assigned approver is, for example is on holiday, the approval process is "stuck" as the flow can't continue until that person has approved/rejected. Today we kill the flow. define temprary replacement of the person on leave and restart the approval process.... hence loosing all the already obtained approvals from lower tiers....

I'm wondering if someone has faced similar problem and how they went about it. I think the solutiuon would incorporate using the timed-out option for the approval-action and then kicking in a additional step towards an replacement.... 

Please help me?

Regards

charles

2 REPLIES 2
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Approval flow "stuck" due to approver not available

I presented at a virtual conference last month and demonstrated a couple workarounds for exactly these issues.

1) You can check for an Out of Office message before sending an approval and escalate it to another approver if the OOO message is set. Who you decide to escalate to is an open question.  You can send it to that person's manager, check the OOO message for someone to forward it to, or use a listing somewhere that specifies escalation addresses for each approver.

2) You can also set a timeout on an Approval and then escalate the Approval to someone else if the original approver doesn't respond withint the time period

3) You can start up a parallel branch to send periodic reminders for each approval that is active.

If you want more information on any of these approaches let me know.  You can also download the demo Flows I usued from my Blog at: https://www.dontpapanic.com/blog/?p=590

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Charles-v-D
Level: Powered On

Re: Approval flow "stuck" due to approver not available

Hi @Pstork1,

Thanks, I plan to investigate the time-out option (2)

Regards

Charles

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,135)