Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xxxxmints
Helper IV
Helper IV

Approval - flow time out, send email with approvers name

Hello

I have created an approval flow that updates a list (similar to the task list that SPD uses). I use a Filter array to match the Approval ID, then update the list.

If the approver approves/rejects it updates the list. But if the approval times out I can't update it because the Response returns null.

I'd like the email to say which Approver has timed out. Can anyone help?

2020-12-08 15_45_18-Edit your flow _ Power Automate.png2020-12-08 15_46_51-Edit your flow _ Power Automate.png2020-12-08 15_47_55-.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If it's null then you can't use the Responses later in the flow, nor can you use any data from the Responses. If it time outs it won't give you any names/responses, you won't recognize if 1 out of 5 users didn't respond. It's either all or none.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tom_riha
Super User
Super User

Hello @xxxxmints ,

I'd add a Condition before the 'Apply to each 21' to check if the 'Responses' has some value. If it's equal to 'null' expression then the operation timed out, send the 'Funding request has timed out' email with information about who received the task ('Assigned to' in the original task). If not, there was a response.image.png

Thanks for you reply but it didn't work because it needs an array.

The execution of template action 'Apply_to_each' failed: the result of the evaluation of 'foreach' expression '@outputs('Approval_for_Endorser')?['body/responses']' is of type 'Null'. The result must be a valid array.

I somehow need to extract the Responses Approver Name (of which there can be up to five).

The filter array I use (see above pics) relies on Responses to populate the document approval in the external list.

If there is no Response then I can't populate the list.

2020-12-09 10_57_39-Edit your flow _ Power Automate.png

If it's null then you can't use the Responses later in the flow, nor can you use any data from the Responses. If it time outs it won't give you any names/responses, you won't recognize if 1 out of 5 users didn't respond. It's either all or none.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,548)