cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanHansen
Level: Powered On

Approval flow using built in approval field

Hello,

I am building a document repository on a sharepoint site with both versioning and approvals enabled.

I am thinking to build a Flow to manage approval of these documents (Mainly Word documents). I am not really sure if what I am hoping to build, is even possible, so I wanted to ask in the community if what I envision, could even be done.

1. User creates or uploads a file to the library in Draft status, to work in the file.
  2. Once file is published as a major version approval stage is triggered.
  3. An email is sent to the users manager (Can be hardcoded as a specific individual/group) with a link to the file. The manager must approve using the sharepoint functions inside the library (Intentional, I do not want to use the approval buttons in the mail.)
  4. Outcome of approval step is communicated back to the person who initiated the request.

I have looked at how to use the build in approval stages, with reference to these posts:

http://prairiedeveloper.com/2018/12/microsoft-flow-determine-the-approval-status-of-a-sharepoint-lis...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Reading-Approval-Status/m-p/199210

But this is beyond me, I do not posess the technical capabilities to use this. I also want this approval flow to trigger if someone updates an existing file, and puts it through the approval stage again.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanHansen

Re: Approval flow using built in approval field

Hello Mabel,

Thank you for your comments. I decided to use a slightly different approach in the end, by allowing users to manually select a file, and starting the approval flow. I have been through the roadmap of the upcomming changes and suggestions for Flows, and voted for a couple that I feel would further my specific need.

Best regards,

Dan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DanHansen,

About #1 and #2, we could trigger flow by creating or updating a file to the library. However, I am afraid that it might be not possible to check whether a file has been published as a major version or not. There is a similar request at here, please vote the idea:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Allow-to-check-in-check-out-and-publish-files-in-a-Sh...

About #3, if you are using the action Start an approval, I am afraid that you may have to use the approval buttons in the email or Flow Approvals center.

About #4, once the approval response is given, if you want to write the response back to the SharePoint library, please consider using the action Set content approval status.

By the way, I have made the following flow for your reference:

1.PNG

Hope the following blog could be helpful:

https://www.chakkaradeep.com/2018/03/12/require-approval-of-documents-in-sharepoint-using-microsoft-...

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DanHansen

Hello Mabel,

Thank you for your comments. I decided to use a slightly different approach in the end, by allowing users to manually select a file, and starting the approval flow. I have been through the roadmap of the upcomming changes and suggestions for Flows, and voted for a couple that I feel would further my specific need.

Best regards,

Dan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DanHansen ,

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation as always.

Please feel free reach us if you have any issues related to Microsoft Flow.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,826)