cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Approval flow with multiple steps

I am looking for guidance/help with a flow. I have a SharePoint folder where 2 documents will be uploaded at the same time (one named File A and the other named File B). Both documents need to be routed to specific managers for approval, but File A must be approved before File B can be sent for approval. 

I have figured out how to create a basic flow for an approval, but need some help with:

1. How to set a condition so that only File A is sent initially. (I tried setting a condition by file name, but it didnt work)

2. How to create a flow so that when File A is approved, File B is sent for approval. 

I am new to Power Automate and appreciate any help that can be provided (or even guidance on if this is even possible!). Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Approval flow with multiple steps

The easiest way to do this is with two flows.  One that triggers when a file is created or modified in a folder.  Then have a condition that checks if its File A or B.  If its A continue with the approval if its B then terminate the flow.  The second flow is specifically designed to operate on File B.  After the Approval for File A completes you can have a last step invoke the Flow designed to approve File B.  To have one Flow call another you need to build the Flows in a Solution.  That will give you access to an action that lets you call a child Flow (the one for File B).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Approval flow with multiple steps

The easiest way to do this is with two flows.  One that triggers when a file is created or modified in a folder.  Then have a condition that checks if its File A or B.  If its A continue with the approval if its B then terminate the flow.  The second flow is specifically designed to operate on File B.  After the Approval for File A completes you can have a last step invoke the Flow designed to approve File B.  To have one Flow call another you need to build the Flows in a Solution.  That will give you access to an action that lets you call a child Flow (the one for File B).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,712)