cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Approval flows stopped working and I can no longer save new approval flows

As of couple months ago I can no longer create approval flows but get a following error message when I try to save my flow.   We have a E3 office 365 license.   Is this an licensing issue.

Failed to create the Common Data Service database in this environment with status code ViralServicePlanRequired.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Approval flows stopped working and I can no longer save new approval flows

@jpvainio 

Can you check to see if you were/are using a trial license of some type that may have expired?

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

As far as I know (I am not admin so it is hear say)  nothing has changed with our E3 office 365 license.   I created approval flow already a year ago for the first time.   I have a feeling something has changed about what Microsoft requires for having approval flow (licensing or otherwise).   E.g. the error message mentions CDS.   I don't think approval flows used to be stored in CDS (I assume they are now) and maybe my current licensing lacks CDS.

While back there was a announcement about updating previous version of CDS database.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/upgrade-your-previous-version-common-data-service-databas...

I don't think anyone thought they were using CDS so admins didn't do anything and I assume previous database got deleted by microsoft.   Admin tried to create a new Environment and CDS database but couldn't.

My suspicion is (as was yours)   that this is a licensing issue but not that existing license would me expired but that licensing level that was not previously required to be able to create approval flows is now required.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@jpvainio 

Approvals do use CDS behind the scenes, but no upgraded license is required for use with Approvals.  That said, I strongly suggest that you check to see what liceses have been assigned to you by the Office 365 admin.  Nothing has cganged recently that would cause this issue to the best of my knwoledge.  However, you may have had an upgraded trial license that expired.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpvainio ,

Have you tried creating Approval Flow in other environments?

Or you could create a new Environment to configure Approval Flow yourself.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

No sure if appropriate to tag onto this thread, but..... We are trying to create a flow using the "Request manager approval for a selected file" template and we are getting the "Failed to create Common Data Services database in this environment with status code "ViralServicePlanRequired". We have active E3 license. Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

You can have your Global Administrator with a P2 or P2 trial create a CDS databasse in the default environment. Then you should be able to use Flow approvals. It might have previously been deleted if you were not using it and did not upgrade the CDS instance to the latest version of CDS earlier this year. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, @ggieseke ,

I know it's been a while that you had the issue. I am getting the same error message. Would you be kind to let me know how you resolved the issue?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,444)