cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tamras
Level 10

Approval - no email being sent

I'm using the "Start approval when a new item is added" template -- is it supposed to send an email requesting approval?  Nothing is being sent by the workflow. I found the sent/received under Approvals dashboard but no associated email.   I checked with our Exchange admin and confirmed nothing in quarantine (in case outside email is blocked).  Are there any other reasons why an email is not sent, if it supposed to send one?

2019-07-02_1350.png

I also tried below and enabled notification -- still no email:

2019-07-02_1358.png

11 REPLIES 11
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Approval - no email being sent

If the recipent is using the new outlook have the m check the other column and not just the Focused tab.  Have them also check Junk mail.  I've seen those emails end up in both in certain occasions.

Beyond that is you Exchange on-premises or Office 365?  And is the assigned Approver that you are putting in the section marked in red in your picture an internal or external user?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Tamras
Level 10

@Pstork1 Thanks for quick reply.  Yes, I already checked junk mail and both focused and other tabs. No email is found.  We have Office 365 and the "assigned to" is an internal user. 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Have you checked the users involved to make sure their UPN and eMail addresses are the same?  Also check if they aren't that you are filling in the Assigned to field with their email.  I've never seen a situation where the Approvals flow didn't send an email. if Notifications was enabled.  If its turned off then yes, it only goes to the Flow approvals tab.  But you said notifications was enabled.

mdeleuterio
Level: Powered On

Hi!

Are you using a dynamic content in the "Assigned To" field? Be sure that you using de correct field (ex: Author.Email)
I avoid to use templates. try to recreate one from blank with the same actions!

Tamras
Level 10

@Pstork1 Yes, both same email address.  I tried 3 different internal users with same results.  

@mdeleuterio I entered the email manually but I'll try dynamic content. And, I also tried both template and custom flow.  Edit: I tried dynamic content with the same result.  Now, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) - it was enabled recently. I'll reach out to others. 

2019-07-02_1606.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

When you say you entered the email manually, do you mean you typed in the actual email or that you typed in the name of the field?  Typing in an actual email will work, typing in the name of the field won't.  For that you need to insert through dynamic content.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Tamras ,

Approval actions are always working fine on my side.

As you mentioned that “I found the sent/received under Approvals dashboard but no associated email”, I assume that the approval action itself is working properly, there might be some blocks on your email box.

Please check if there are any special restrictions on the email box and try again.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Tamras
Level 10

@Pstork1  I typed the email address manually.

@v-yamao-msft Thats what I initially thought but our exchange admin could not find any discrepancies. He confirmed no external email is blocked nor the email trace from my inbox show any incoming/outgoing messages related to this flow. 

mdeleuterio
Level: Powered On

After the running the flow, does it succeed? Does the output shows the "Assigned to" field, as empty?
Have you tried to put the email in a variable and insert the variable in the "Assigned to"?

Tamras
Level 10

@mdeleuterio it succeeded after I reply through the Approvals page (not through email) and the output shows the email address.  I also tried using variable.  @v-yamao-msft is probably correct about it being Outlook/Exchange issue. I don't have access to reports so I can only rely on our Exchange admin. He is still looking into it. If we can't figure this out I'll submit a ticket. At the mean time, I'm using the 'send email' action.

Thanks all

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Tamras ,

Thanks for updating.

Please share with us if you get any updates on this issue.

Best regards,

Mabel          

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,951)