cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niema
Regular Visitor

Approval process with multiple person field (array) - All must respond

Hi all, 

I am struggling to create a flow for approval process. The flow is triggered by status change of the item and then it's sending an e-mail to 1st level approvers (the number of the approvers vary depending on the item), where all must respond as only then the second mail should be sent to the final approver. 

The challenge here is that the 1st level approvers are in multiple person column. 

niema_0-1663748145711.png

niema_1-1663748333561.png

as you will see on the screenshots, I have extracted the e-mails and joined them with ';' to create a string. 

However I added the step 'start and wait for the approver', and when tested the flow the error occurred. 

Could you please advise how I can fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-liwei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @niema 

Add a semicolon after dynamic content in append to array. 

Remove the semicolon after the variable in the approval.

Best Regards,

Levi

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Sundeep_Malik
Community Champion
Community Champion

v-liwei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @niema 

Is your flow triggered when an item in SharePoint is changed? 

If so, I don't think you need to use get items. You can create a string variable to hold the approver email. 

I made a test for your reference:

vliweimsft_0-1663752058330.png

vliweimsft_1-1663752076525.png

vliweimsft_2-1663752116746.pngvliweimsft_3-1663752126453.png

Best Regards,

Levi

Hi Sundeep, thank you for your reply! I did watch this but the challenge is that initialize variable (if I am right) this action requires from me adding the email addresses in a string with ';' between them. Correct me if I am wrong as I still learn Power Automate 😄 

Hi Levi, thank you for your message! Yes, the flow is triggered once the status of the item changes. 

could you let me know where the "1st level" is coming from? 

thank you!

niema
Regular Visitor

Hi Levi, 

I tried your idea, but it seems the step "start and wait for the approval" doesn't like the input. 

niema_0-1663832883534.pngniema_1-1663832905981.pngniema_2-1663832926593.png

v-liwei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @niema 

Add a semicolon after dynamic content in append to array. 

Remove the semicolon after the variable in the approval.

Best Regards,

Levi

niema
Regular Visitor

Hi Levi, 

thank you so much for this! It helped 🙂 

Could you advise with one more thing? As this step is the first level of approval process. The next step in this flow would be sending the e-mail/request to the final approvers. Am I ok just to add second step "start and wait for the approval" to get the final approval?

v-liwei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @niema 

If the second-level approval needs to be initiated after the first-level approval is approved, you may need a condition to determine whether the result is approved.

Best Regards,

Levi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (1,883)