cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lars-k
Level: Power Up

Approval required - multiple approvers

Hi guys, I'm new to flow and need some help. 

I need to create an approval process for invoices. Accounting staff scans the invoice and need to send them to a department-manager for approval. I check approval flows for new mail items, sharepoint items, onredrive items but I can't find a way around the problem, that for each approval the approver needs to be selected by hand ? How can I resolve that ?

I thought about creating folders with E-Mail Adresses.
That the account staff just needs to drag & drop the invoice to a folder.
Than the flow reads the mail adress from the folder name and starts the approval process for a new item in there. After aproval the item is moved to a new folder "completedApproval".

Is that possible ? Or do you have another hint ?

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Approval required - multiple approvers

If you have a way to determine the proper approver, you can dynamically assign an approver in Flow.  You might, for example, get an individuals manager or reference a SharePoint list.

Here is one scenario:

1) User attaches scanned invoice to a new SharePoint list item.  Department is a required field.

2) A flow runs when a new SharePoint list item is created

1. The Flow looks up the department in another SharePoint list.  This SharePoint list has departments and approvers
  2. The Flow then starts an approval and assigns the approver based on the department

If this is what you need and this requires more explanation, please post here and I will provide a screen shot of a working Flow.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Super User
Super User

Here is a simple example.

I created a custom list called Invoices with a lookup column for Departmnet which is a required column.  The lookup column referneces the Department Approvers list.  

Using a lookup column makes it easy to refernce the Department Approvers list.  SharePoint actually stores th ID of the item selected in the lookup list.  So, you don't have to use Get Items and then loop through the list, etc..  All you need to do is to use Get Item because you already have the ID.

The lookup column is called Department - I used Department ID to retrieve the correct row for the Department Approvers list.

Please let me know if this is on point.

LookupApprover.png

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ lars-k,

Do you want to create some folders in a sharepoint library or a onedrive folder with E-Mail Adresses, and create a flow to start an approval when a invoice file is created in the sharepoint library or the onedrive folder,and the approval would be sent to the email address from the folder name?

I'm afraid there is no any way to achieve your needs with one single flow.

As an alternative way,you could take a try to create multiple flow to achieve your need.

If the invoice file would be created in three folders, you could create three flow to achieve you needs.

You could create a flow to start the approval when a file is created in "FolderA" in sharepoint as screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

And then you could create a flow to start the approval when a file is created in "FolderB" in sharepoint as screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

And the same as above flow, you could create a flow to start the approval when a file is created in "FolderC" in sharepoint.

Please let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

lars-k
Level: Power Up

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations guys!!! I want to use sync via Onedrive For Business. So sharepoint would work as well.

I guess I'll try v-yuazh-msft solution. It's better than to choose the apporver each time, when I upload a scan to a list.

Might it possible to place a text-file in a folder and to read the approver-mail for that folder from the file content ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,602)