cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeVolk
Level: Powered On

Approval required - multiple approvers

I am trying to create a Flow where when a document is created or updated, an approval gets sent out to multiple approvers. How I have it set up is that I have created a piece of metadata for my document that is a Person or group column that allows multiple people to be added to it. This column, AdditionalApprovers, is the dynamic way for the user to choose who the approvers should be for their request and it keeps me from having to hard-code the approvers into the Flow. The Flow is running and assigning approval tasks, but where I am running into my issue is when it gets to the Condition step, it is failing. I included a screen shot of the error. What I am also noticing is that when I use that column, I cannot use any actions from the Approval step anywhere else in the Flow. I It works fine if I just put an email address in the Assigned To field, but I want it to be dynamic. Suggestions???

I am having trouble getting a screen shot in. I will work to get that added.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Approval required - multiple approvers

@JoeVolk:

I don't know for sure what your issue is without the screen shot, but I believe this example will help.

I have a SharePoint list with a person or group column (PG) that can have multiple entries.

I create a variable (string) and loop through each name in the person or group column and append the email address to the string followed by a semi colon.

I then reference the variable when setting the approvers in the approver action.

MultiApprover.jpg

If this addresses your issue, please mark your question as solved.

If not, please provide a screen shot of your Flow.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@JoeVolk:

I don't know for sure what your issue is without the screen shot, but I believe this example will help.

I have a SharePoint list with a person or group column (PG) that can have multiple entries.

I create a variable (string) and loop through each name in the person or group column and append the email address to the string followed by a semi colon.

I then reference the variable when setting the approvers in the approver action.

MultiApprover.jpg

If this addresses your issue, please mark your question as solved.

If not, please provide a screen shot of your Flow.

Scott

Scott

View solution in original post

JoeVolk

This fixed my issue! Thanks @ScottShearer. I have one more question you may be able to answer. I have a condition after the task and in the condition I have it set to send an email to the document owner. Is there a way to send one email that includes the responses of all people who had a task? Currently, my Send an Email action is in an Apploy to each action that sends an email to the owner for each response. Thanks!

Super User
Super User

@JoeVolk:

One quick question before I respond.

Is your approval action set up for "Everyone must respond" or "Anyone can respond"?

Scott

Scott
JoeVolk

@ScottShearer

It is set to Everyone must respond.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,600)