cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cphelps
Level: Powered On

Re: Approvals - Multiple Approvers - How to capture all their responses and comments?

Awesome, I would like to do that. How do I set that up? I know how to create a list, a choice column, and a referenced Managed Metadata. But I don't know how to connect the them or how to reference that in the "Assigned to" box. I also don't know how to output the data into a multi-line field you referenced. I am a little tech savvy, but not an IT professional; just so you know my level of experience.

@Cheason wrote:

A good practice/test of what is being captured following the approval is to output every dynamic content option to a multi-line field somewhere until you're comfortable on what is being passed through.

Highlighted
Cheason

Re: Approvals - Multiple Approvers - How to capture all their responses and comments?

To connect the list of approvers to your document library you just need a Flow that 'Gets items' from the approvers list and updates the current document if the approver fields are blank. I've had to put a delay into it to retry the update if the file is locked for editing (a simple 'Do until' action until the approver name is not empty).

For the 'Get Items' action to look at the approvers list, you would need to put a 'Filter Query' in the advanced options, for example:

Title eq 'Service Desk'

Logically thinking there might only be one entry in the list that has the name(s) of people who would be those approvers.

As for outputting all the captured 'Approval' information - simply create a new column (call it what you want) but specify it as a multi-line column. In the flow, after the approval, simply update/create a list entry with the multi-line field in it with all the Dynamic Content you want to see from the Approval action - you might see a lot of garbage, but it helps see the information coming out of the action. The only way is to test the flow run and expand the 'Approval' action - the data is all captured there too, but not so easy to read maybe - it's what your most comfortable in reading out examining really...

Jason.

Bernardo83
Level: Power Up

Hi @CP153319 

Could you be so kind to print the flow to set up this different approval based on the field "approval type"?  I've tried but it is not working....

thank you! 

cphelps

Hello @Bernardo83,

After getting the opportunity for some training from my database administrator, I am much clearer on this subject. The first thing we needed to do was to create custom columns as the above people suggested. 

In my test library, I created a column called "Edit Type" (in your case "Approval Type") and made it as a choice menu within the column options. I also created a column called "Approver" as my approvers change depending on the document.

1.JPG

What this did for me in the flow was create dynamic content which I could reference in my approvals.

I then went to my flow creation and started with a blank flow. I placed my trigger as "When a file is created or modified (properties only)". My IT person then suggested using a switch control; I entered the newly available dynamic content based on my columns called "Edit Type Value". I was then able to tell the flow which path to take, based on which choice someone made; in my case they could choose either minor or major update.

2.JPG

For the minor case1 I told to send me an email with the below format.

3.JPG

For the Major case 2, I told the flow to look at the approver column. If the Approver column was a certain file type, and fit another custom parameter (in this case contained a semicolon) then the flow select YES - which I then had it  start and wait for an approval. If those parameters were not met, it was to select NO and send me another email.

4.JPG

If neither of my specified cases fit the switch parameters, I just told the flow to send me an email.

5.JPG

My biggest confusion was how to set custom dynamic content, and the column creation does that for you. So if you create a column called "approval type", microsoft flow will automatically create dynamic content labelled "Approval Type" and "Approval Type Value". Then you can utilize it anywhere in that flow to reference that specific column for that specific Document library. 

You would have to create the custom column in each library where approvals are necessary.

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

Cheason

Well done @cphelps - looks and sounds like you've made some excellent progress, and learning new things as you go along. Keep going! Well done.

Bernardo83
Level: Power Up

Hi @cphelps   

thanks a lot!  After setting a specific parameter in my office 365 account and library that I was working on, the dinamic content "approval type value" was released and I could make it! 

your flow is very interesting and helpful for others uses .. I might use in the future!

thanks again for your spending your time!

cphelps

@Bernardo83 @Cheason Thanks both of you! I appreciate your feedback also!

ashmon07

Thank you Scott! this worked beautifully though i would like to make it look better. Also if you want the response to show up as soon as one of the approvers makes them you need to put the update action inside of the loop

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 345 members 5,546 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: