Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approvals Update Item Per Response

Hello,

I am creating an approval that gets sent out to multiple people. I want to be able to send the approval to all parties and  update the SharePoint list item with their response as each party responds to the approval. In other words, I need to be able to create the approval, wait for one response from an approver, once that response is received update the item with their response, then return to waiting for the next response and update the item once that response is received, wait for the next response, etc. 

This is so that at any point while the approval is pending (can be pending for multiple weeks), someone can go into the SharePoint list and view the item to see who has responded with their feedback and who has not.

The number of people is unknown at "runtime," aka this is not known until the SharePoint item associated with the Flow is filled out with the approvers and the Flow is triggered. If the number of people was known, I could just send out that number of approvals separately and each with their own Update Item, though this involves tedious duplication. However, this is not the case as I mentioned, so this is not an option.

If the option "Approve/Reject - First to respond" is used for the approval, the Flow proceeds after receiving its first response, and an Apply to Each is added when Update Item is used to include the response and comments on the item. However, if I understand correctly, this Apply to Each only runs for the first response to the approval and then exits the loop. I believe this same behavior occurs for the “Wait for one response” custom response approval type. I want the Flow to remain in this Apply to Each loop for every response as they come in and update the item. Essentially, I need an approval type that does not wait for all responses before performing an action, but instead can perform a looping action with all the responses as each of them is received.

I also considered inserting the approval into the loop. Then, each party would have their own approval and the item would be updated with their feedback once they respond, which is close to what I want. However, as I mentioned earlier the approval can take multiple weeks for a response. This solution would mean the approval would have to wait for the first party to respond before even sending out the second one, and then would wait for the second party’s response before sending the third, etc., which is not an acceptable solution.

How would I go about accomplishing this, if it is possible? Thank you in advance and I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Approvals Update Item Per Response

@Anonymous 

Consider using a loop to assign approvals as you have already suggested.  However, go to the loop settings and turn on concurrency control.  That will allow for all approvals to be assigned concurrently.

Concurrent.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Anonymous 

Consider using a loop to assign approvals as you have already suggested.  However, go to the loop settings and turn on concurrency control.  That will allow for all approvals to be assigned concurrently.

Concurrent.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your help Scott! I suppose that was more simple than I had expected. Just an issue of running approvals concurrently vs sequentially.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,223)