cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammycat
Regular Visitor

Approvals flow - show approver name in list

I've created an approvals flow as follows which works fine:

- When new file created (show as "pending")

- Get meta data

- Start and wait for approval

- If true - email creator; set approval status ("Approved")

My problem is I want to show the approver name in the sharepoint list.  I've created a column for this. When I add an "Update file properties" to add the approver name, it adds it ok but resets the approval status to "Pending"

How I add the approver name without resetting the approval status?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oh you are using SharePoint Approval process in addition to PowerAutomate.

SharePoint approval process will make the status to pending when you do any changes in the file properties.

Or simply you can create a custom column like approval status and update that column through flow and stop using the Library content approval.

if you had to stick with sharepoint
Try moving Update File Properties action before Setting Content Approval status action in your flow but be sure to get the updated etag

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway this will allow other people to search correct solutions effectively.

Thanks,
Rahber

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KarimH
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi Sammycat,

it's difficult to find the issue without seeing the Flow. Maybe you could post a screenshots of the actions you are using.

But here two hints:

1. Is it possible, that your flow is triggered not only when an item is created but also when it is modified? So when you update the column with the approver, the flow starts again and sets the approval status to pending. If this is the case, thant dont set the value in the beginning of the flow but rather use a default value for this column when a document is created. You also could try to work with conditions.

2. Be aware, if you use "Update file properties" you need to set all columns that have default values to the actual value of the Item even if the value does not change. If you dont do so, thant the Item will be updated with the default value of the column.

I hope it helps.

Rahber
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

can you please show you flow?

What trigger are you using? When a file is created or modified? or when a file is created?

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway this will allow other people to search correct solutions effectively.

Thanks,
Rahber

Thanks for the reply

Here are screen shots of the flow:

ss1.pngss2.pngss3.png

Oh you are using SharePoint Approval process in addition to PowerAutomate.

SharePoint approval process will make the status to pending when you do any changes in the file properties.

Or simply you can create a custom column like approval status and update that column through flow and stop using the Library content approval.

if you had to stick with sharepoint
Try moving Update File Properties action before Setting Content Approval status action in your flow but be sure to get the updated etag

Thanks,
Rahber

I went with your second suggestion  - switching the file properties update with set approval status - and that worked.

I was under the impression that Sharepoint approval had to be activated for flow Approvals to work.  I may have gotten wires crossed somewhere.

I may experiment with your other suggestion to see how that works.

Thanks for your help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (1,390)