Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Approvals to be sent to different managers based on form/list content

Hello there, 

I hope someone can assist me. 

I aim to create an approval flow that will get sent to different managers based on the criteria entered on the form/list. So for example on the list they have entered 'East Branch' - so I'd need the approval to be sent to Bob and not Marge who works in the 'West Branch'. 

Currently using the list as the first stop to enter data looks unsightly. Power Apps seems super advance as I can see there is coding involved. Is there an alternative? A form perhaps? 

Any ideas to help resolve this would be great. 

Thanks so much. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Approvals to be sent to different managers based on form/list content

Hi @Flownew1 

1) Start with the Forms trigger 'When a new response is submitted' and select the specific Form you want.

2) Then add the 'Get response details' action, select the same form in 'Form Id' and in 'Response Id' select the dynamic content 'List of response notifications Response Id'

3) Then add the action 'Switch' and in the 'On' field of that action put the dynamic content for the field name from the form that specifies the branch

4) Add as many cases in the switch as you need and in the 'Equals' field on the cases type East Branch, West Branch, etc.

5) Then finally, add a separate Approval action under each case and change the 'Assigned to' to the manager for the specific branch

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Flownew1 ,

Based off of your description it sounds like you could use the Switch action. Then, based off of the branch, run the approval actions for the specific manager under that branch. Does that make sense?

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, 

Thanks so much for your response. 

That sounds like what I had tried. I'm so very new to flows - can you give me an example of how to tackle this? So an application comes from someone who works in the East branch and the application needs to go to the East branch manager. Another application comes from someone in the West Branch so that application needs to go to the West manager for approval. 

Thanks so much for your help. 

Flownew1

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Flownew1 

1) Start with the Forms trigger 'When a new response is submitted' and select the specific Form you want.

2) Then add the 'Get response details' action, select the same form in 'Form Id' and in 'Response Id' select the dynamic content 'List of response notifications Response Id'

3) Then add the action 'Switch' and in the 'On' field of that action put the dynamic content for the field name from the form that specifies the branch

4) Add as many cases in the switch as you need and in the 'Equals' field on the cases type East Branch, West Branch, etc.

5) Then finally, add a separate Approval action under each case and change the 'Assigned to' to the manager for the specific branch

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Oh this is so helpful, thanks ever so much. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,884)