cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WRD381
Regular Visitor

Assigned to, SharePoint to Outlook Flow

Working to create a SharePoint to Outlook flow that sends an email only when a list item is "assigned to" in SharePoint.  I have that functionally working just fine but the issue I have is every time the item is modified or edited and email is triggered, which is not the intent of the Flow created. I have spent the past few hours looking over posts for guidance but not seeing a real answer on this.  This seems so simple yet not!  

I have tried two Flow styles " when an item is created or modified" but striking out setting up the conditions to only email when "assigned to" is saved.  

Thank you in advance for the assistance .

2021-12-10_13-20-59.png2021-12-10_13-22-19.png

5 REPLIES 5
miguelcas
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @WRD381 

I'm going to be helping  you with your issue. First I need to know what type of column is Assign to, it's a string? or a Person type?

To do what you want we need to add a trigger condition to the trigger. I will reply with an example once we have the information. 

WRD381
Regular Visitor

"assigned to" is a person/ group column in SharePoint.  

Thank you,

miguelcas
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @WRD381 

I was working on my side and this trigger condition will help you with your requirement

@not(empty("Dynamic content of the Assigned to"))

Basically what we are doing here it's asking if the Assign to column is empty or not. Adding the not () function to make a not empty to. So, if Assign to is not empty then send the email. 

Please, add this condition to the trigger as the instructions below

1. Add the trigger When an item is created or modified and set it up with the your list. 

2. Add a compose action to create the expression that is going to be in the trigger condition 

miguelcas_1-1639170517110.png

3. As an input to the compose action create the expression selecting the dynamic content from the trigger of the assigned to column

miguelcas_2-1639170771168.png

Where the yellow mark refers to the functions and the green one to the dynamic content, clicking on Assigned to will write the expression. Please copy this function to be paste on the trigger condition 

4. Go to the trigger settings and add the trigger condition. Write an "@" before you copy the function as the image below. 

miguelcas_3-1639170914798.png

miguelcas_4-1639171006718.png

Thank you for using Microsoft Power Platform Communities.
Community Support Team - Miguel Castro.
If this Post helps, then please consider Accept as solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for that help. Went ahead and tried to implement that change Unfortunately, each time I make an edit/ reply it still triggers the email of you have been assigned even though that field has been completed.  

Flow created ..

WRD381_0-1639178022043.png

miguelcas
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @WRD381 

Understanding your case, even if you already assigned an item to someone, you will make a change in the row item. In that case, we need to add a column to the list in order to know if the notification has already been sent. Adding a column with the name Email Sent  as a Yes/No type and then make the trigger condition to evaluate that column will help the flow to know if it's necessary to send the email or not. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,325)