cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mancino
Level: Powered On

Assigning a person to task based on email reply

Currently, I'm using a flow to monitor an inbox, when that inbox is emailed the flow runs and creates a task in Planner (this part works).

What I would like to see happen next is when someone responds to the Alias attached to the mailbox with Under Review, I'd like to update the task created in the beginning of the flow by assigning it to the person who responded.

Is this possible or will I have to create a second flow to monitor the Inbox and match the Task name?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Assigning a person to task based on email reply

@Mancino 

For the two flows approach, did you tried to use conditional triggers?

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Trigger-conditions-for-Flow-now-available... 

So your first flow (tha one that creates a task) will be executed under specific conditions to be executed (i.e. Body does not contain 'Got it!'... or sender is somebody outside of the AssignTo Team); while your second flow (the one that assigns the tesk) will be executed under different conditions (i.e. Body contains 'Got it!' and Subject contains 'Re:'... or sender is somebody belonging to the AssignTo Team)

Also, if you create the task based on the Request Email Subject (flow#1) adding Subject as part of new Task Name, and the first team member sends a Request to be assigned to the Task (flow #2) by replying to the original email, you can do the following:

1.- Take Request to be assigned email subject,remove 'Re:' and store the result inside a variable, let's call it 'TargetTaskSubject'

2.- list all tasks by means of this 'List tasks' action block

3.- filter the output by taking only the ones containing 'TargetTaskSubject' by means of Filter array action Block.

Flow_FilterTasks.png

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi!
Let'see if I understood the problem.
1. Is the mailbox: a shared mailbox, an office 365 group mailbox, other?
2. As soon as you receive an email in your Inbox, you convert it into a planner task. Are you applying any specific rule, i.e. only emails containing specific text on Subject? Do these emails that are converted into New Tasks contain a unique identifier?
3. Now, if somebody replies by adding a specific text in the Subject (Under review) you want to identify the employee sending the reply and Assign the task to him/her.

Did I understood properly?

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Mancino

@efialttesyes, essentially.

So, I have a flow right now that monitors a shared inbox, that shared inbox is also part of an alias (distro group of users).

Phase 1:

Email comes in with a request -> Message Posted in Teams -> Task Created in Planner with below Task Title  - This works.

Flow.png

Phase 2:

Member of team responds to original request with "Got this" for awareness -> Assign task created in Phase 1 to team member who responded.

I hope that makes sense, I attempted to do it all in one flow and was unsuccessful so I wondered if I could create another flow that will pull the subject out of the reply email and match it to a Planner task title however that says the condition isn't met when I try to match it up.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Mancino 

I believe you can do it in just one flow, by adding a second trigger as a flow step. However, you will need to add a Subject condition to get this second trigger executed ONLY when someone replies to this same request, whih is gonna be tricky.

Can share an example screenshot of 'Got it' response?

Flow_nestedtriggers.png

Or, if you prefer to split it in two flows, the tricky part is to get all tasks, and filter them by Task Name, so you take the one that contains the target Subject. The point here is: if you compare the REply Subject 'as is' with the Task Name you are storing, it will always fail either because of the RE: or because of the 'Got it' (it shall be added into the Subject, right?) or because of both, so you will need to manipulate REply Subject before comparing it with your current Task Names.

AS with the first suggestion, can share an example screenshot of 'Got it' response?

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Mancino

@efialttes  - so currently I have the flow set up on a condition that if it starts with RE: perform the create task which I realize will be problematic if someone adds the alias to a response.

Example email comes in requesting assistance with billing. Subject: Need help with invoices.

The response email should be:

Subject: RE: Need help with invoices

Body: Got this

Person reviews and responds.

Overall flow is below. What I need now is to have the task that gets created off the initial email sent to be updated when someone says "Got this" or whatever set text we choose in the body.

OverallFlow.png

I need to make sure that all of the responses to the initial email (starting with RE:) do not trigger new tasks to be created which is where I'm stuck. If I go down the If yes path, I can't seem to link the created task under If no which is why I was thinking of doing a separate flow however as I mentioned above, I might need a way around starting with RE:.

Thoughts?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi again
In case you opt to implement two flows, please have a look to conditional triggers
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Trigger-conditions-for-Flow-now-available...
Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Mancino

So the challenge I'm having with two flows is getting the task ID from the previous tasks made. I tried to match it to the subject as that's what the title of task is however it created an endless loop.

Is there a way to get the ID from matching the title then use that to identify which task to update? The condition triggers with subject/body are working, it's the update piece that's not correct.

Mancino

@efialttesI attempted to add a second email trigger with a condition on the Body however I get the following:

New.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Mancino 

For the two flows approach, did you tried to use conditional triggers?

So your first flow (tha one that creates a task) will be executed under specific conditions to be executed (i.e. Body does not contain 'Got it!'... or sender is somebody outside of the AssignTo Team); while your second flow (the one that assigns the tesk) will be executed under different conditions (i.e. Body contains 'Got it!' and Subject contains 'Re:'... or sender is somebody belonging to the AssignTo Team)

Also, if you create the task based on the Request Email Subject (flow#1) adding Subject as part of new Task Name, and the first team member sends a Request to be assigned to the Task (flow #2) by replying to the original email, you can do the following:

1.- Take Request to be assigned email subject,remove 'Re:' and store the result inside a variable, let's call it 'TargetTaskSubject'

2.- list all tasks by means of this 'List tasks' action block

3.- filter the output by taking only the ones containing 'TargetTaskSubject' by means of Filter array action Block.

Flow_FilterTasks.png

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Mancino

@efialttesthat definitely helps! I think I'm almost there using a second flow, and was able to get around the conditional trigger.

However, the filter array tasks shows the title correct but the output is empty, which is why I'm assuming the task isn't updating (although I can't confirm as Planner seems to be down). Thoughts?

array.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi
Can you show me the content of your variable on that same execution? And also the expression you are using in your Filter Array?
Thanx!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Mancino

@efialttes 

Will do. So  I have the initialize and compose here, which is successful.

initializeandcompose.pngsuccess.png

I then have a condition to check the body, which comes back as true and sets the variable:

setvar.png

I then do a list tasks for Group ID/Plan ID which is successful in the test. from there I filter, I've tried with is equal to or contains and neither work

filter.png

However, the filter is returning nothing:

array.png

Here's the apply to each, which doesn't look like it gets called:

applytoeach.png

Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi

I think the reason for empty result is, the value given to the variable has a space at the beginning, but the name of your task does not have it.
You can add trim() function to your expression in order to remove it
https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/azure/logic-apps/workflow-definition-language-functions-reference#t...

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Mancino

@efialttesyessir, that was it. I didn't account for the space, once I added the additional space after the : and tested, everything worked.

Everything is now working as expected with 2 flows. I've just run through and tested everything. Essentially, the filter array worked how it should have. Thank you so much for your help!

Mancino

So everything is working however I'm attempting to combine the two flows. My goal is to check if the task exists, if it doesn't create if it does check the body.

Most of it is functioning however I have 2 issues:

1. It is doing a FOR-EACH loop and sending the messages/posting multiple times (number of each task already in planner).

2. It looks as though the variables aren't pulling down - for example SubjectTrimmed and DueDate will not work when I attempt to create the task.

@efialttes  any thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,892)