Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cadone
Helper V
Helper V

Attach Files when approving

Hi

In my flow I have an custom approval action.

I want approver to “attach” files when he approves.

No need to attach if he “Rejects”. 

Possible?

Thanks 

C1

7 REPLIES 7
DAllen365
Resolver III
Resolver III

I'm sorry I don't think you can do what you want with the approvals.  The Flow approval action is not customizable in that way to say require someone to attach files if they click a certain response.  All you get is custom response buttons and collect text as far as I am aware.  You could certainly have the flow email the user in that case to say they need to go to the item and attach a file.  If you really need this functionality, then I would consider only using Flow for the emails and having a form like a Power App with rules that require the attachment control based on certain criteria.  

----------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

cadone
Helper V
Helper V

@DAllen365 

Thanks. I thought so too, but wasn’t sure. 

you mentioned email. I only know the send email action. I wish there was a ‘receive email’ or ‘reply email’ action. 

i will look into to use the approver custom text. 

Happy new year 😊

Hello @cadone,

I apologize maybe I misunderstood, you mentioned a "custom approval action" so I assumed you were referring to the custom responses of the approval action.  There are triggers for receiving email that you would have to have filters but even then, you can't require someone to attach a file.  Perhaps you can describe your desired process a bit more we could try to provide some guidance on something that would help you out.  Happy New Year as well!

----------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@DAllen365 

No you did not misunderstand. I did start off the route of custom approval. 

This flow I am working on will send pdf document for approval. . 
I want to allow the Approver to be able to send a ‘supporting document’ related to the approved pdf.

That’s I was looking for attaching files when approving. In realized approval action might not have that feature, then perhaps the approver could send an email back to the flow with attachments.

Hope this explains my requirements. 

Thanks

C1

@cadone,

I understand but it just doesn't seem like an efficient way to do it.  I am not even sure what you are planning to do with the reference file once you get it via email or whatever.  I would assume you have this PDF that needs approval is sitting in a SharePoint doc library.  Then your approval flow is either triggered automatically on upload or manually on select.  Either way, it fires and requests approval, but it might need to store some reference files.  One way is to have another library to store these reference files, and either have these lookup to the parent, or just create a folder for each file getting approval.  So the approval Flow when it starts it creates a folder with the name of the file's ID.  Then in your approval action, in the body provide a link to this folder with instructions (e.g. If this approval has reference files, upload them here).  

Den74
Frequent Visitor

Dear @cadone ,

I faced the same issue, as you are describing above half a year ago...

Did you find the way of how to attach file during the approval process?

If so, be so kind to share. Even shortly.

Looking forward,

Denis

Denis,

Yes, I was able to attach files to approval action.

The trick is to adjust the ContentBytes for the variable.

See below.

cadone_0-1626703899055.png

Hope it works.

Thanks

C1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (5,341)