Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StanP
Helper II
Helper II

Auto Incrementing a column in sharepoint document library

Hello everyone,

I have an issue where I am stuck with auto incrementing a number in a document library.

The scenario :

I have a flow that is triggered manually that starts and approval process when a new file is uploaded(users click a button to start the flow for the file). The document library has a single line text column("Number") that is used for inputting some numbers that have a naming convention of *current year*+next available number so for example: 20210044,20210045,20210046 etc...

What I want to achieve is to populate that column automatically for the new items by grabbing the last item that was submitted (ex.20210045) and have an update function for the new item to be (20210046(last item number + 1)). What I did was concat the year with the ID but I don't want to grab the ID as its not used within the name.

I have tried numerous suggestions but alas i came to no solution. I would appreciate your input on this for a possible successful outcome for my issue :).

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
darshanamin26
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi,

You can definitely auto populate column by grabbing the last item and update the next value from it. Please Refer to this like this seems similar scenario as yours.  

Auto-Increment Number Field in a SharePoint List - Microsoft Tech Community

Regards,

Darshan

-------

Community Support Team _ Darshan Amin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,032)