cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Viking83
Regular Visitor

Auto populate metadata columns from parent and subfolders name.

In my Company we regulary receive technical documentation from one of our suppliers. It's received in a folder structure, and the parent folder name contains "Machine name" and a "Serial number". Subfolders name contains information about content type within each subfolder.

For several reasons we want to store documents in the same folder structure as received.

What I want to achieve is to autotag all files when they are uploaded. I have one column for "machine name", one for "Serial number", and one for "content type".

Is it possible to build a flow that autotag all files in all subfolders with "Serial number" and "machine name" from parent folder name? And also autotag all files within each subfolder to a "content type" from the subfolder name?

I want it to trigger when documents are uploaded to Sharepoint.

I am a newbie, but if anyone could kick me in the right direction it would be nice 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@Viking83 

Are you saying that you want columns populated with that data for each document or are you saying that you want a folder created with that information in the folder name?

Also, Have you looked at using SharePoint document sets?

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Hi Scott 🙂

Yes I want all files in folder/subfolders to populate columns from parent folder name.

Example :

Name of parent folder = Example - "Machine name" - "Serial number".

I want all files within this folder (including subfolders) to inherit the "machine name" in one column, and "Serial number" in another column.

In addition the folder includes subfolders, example :

Subfolder name = Electric

Subfolder name = Hydraulic

The name of the subfolder should populate files within these subfolders with content type (metadata column).

I have been looking into document sets, but I am not using it at the time. I am not sure if I would achieve what I want with document sets.

FYI

"Machine name" and "Serial number" is a variable in each parent folder.

I guess I would have to extract the folder string in some way, and use an expression to set it as a variable?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Viking83 Do you still need help with this? ;D

EasyE

I have this exact same issue and would greatly appreciate assistance.  Can this be achieved with power apps?

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,077)