cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btucker
Frequent Visitor

Automate: Update Sharepoint List when new excel file saved to sharepoint library

Hi!

Each day, a new excel file is saved in a sharepoint library.  Each row in this file has a unique identifier (Reference Number), and potentially has updated information within the row (part numbers, costs..). The file also has new rows that were not in the previous day's file.

I am trying to build a flow that grabs the daily new excel file and updates existing items in my sharepoint list or creates new items if they do not already exist.

I am starting with the "When a file is created in a folder" SharePoint trigger to begin. I have watched a few videos to know I will want to use an If yes/no condition to either add or update rows, pending on if they exist of not. However, I am getting stuck on being able to correctly identify/using the automate nomenclature to use the daily created excel file to update or create new rows since it doesn't actually exist yet (as in, it is a new file daily with the same column names and table name).  I am not able to grab the dynamic data to grab the excel columns for updates to the sharepoint list, nor am I able to use the logic test of comparing the reference numbers since I cannot grab the reference number dynamic tag.

I would appreciate any help/support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rohentz
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi btucker how are you?

I would like to suggest to use the same connector that you are using and after that add a control loop for each row in this file. Inside this control. Take a look on my sample:

08.jpg 

Remember that the data on Excel needs to be formatted as table and this table needs to have a name.

06.jpg

Is this what are you trying to do?

Please , if you have doubts or questions , let me know.

Thanks for using Community!

Regards.

Rodrigo Hentz

Microsoft Support Engineer

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @btucker  what you need is an schedule flow an then in get list in sharepoint to see if the values exists in excel if not create your values.

schedule.PNG

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
rohentz
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi btucker how are you?

I would like to suggest to use the same connector that you are using and after that add a control loop for each row in this file. Inside this control. Take a look on my sample:

08.jpg 

Remember that the data on Excel needs to be formatted as table and this table needs to have a name.

06.jpg

Is this what are you trying to do?

Please , if you have doubts or questions , let me know.

Thanks for using Community!

Regards.

Rodrigo Hentz

View solution in original post

btucker
Frequent Visitor

Hi Rodrigo,

I appreciate your response and believe this will solve my problem. I will follow up with an update once I implement this flow tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Hi @btucker thanks for the update.

Let me know if the solution provided worked.

Regards

Rodrigo Hentz

btucker
Frequent Visitor

@rohentz  This has achieved what I desired! It successfully imports each field from my test document when I run the flow. Now I will dive into learning more about this connector to ensure when applied to my live data declare the data as the correct type. 

Thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,101)