cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

Automate the SharePoint Communicate News & send to all users when a new news item is added.

Hi All

We are using SharePoint Communication site and there is a requirement that if a News is posted on the site, all the users should be notified when a new item has been added in their corporate email.

How we can achieve using flow? Please advise and any screenshots will really help us.

Thanks in advance.

@ScottShearer  @AlanPs1 

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @aaroh_bits, yes this is something which seems to be being asked for more and more. I'll formalise it as a blog post as I've seen quite a few questions across this forum and on the Microsoft Tech Community.

In my Flow, I trigger based on when a file is created or modified (properties only) as that is what I'm interested in working with. When you create this trigger, the Site Pages library will not appear in the Library Name list, so you need to enter "Site Pages" manually.

The key property that you're interested in is a property called "Promoted state". This allows you to identify what type of page it is and if it has been published. A guide to the promoted states is below:

0 = Page is a site page, not a news item

1 = News Item in Draft

2 = News Item published.

So you can make a condition on the Promoted state (Promoted state is equal to 2) and then send an email to your intended audience.

Send notfication.PNG

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

@MattWeston365  ...

Thanks a ton for your wonderful suggestion. The requirement is user updates multiple news items in the same day, can flow handle this kind of scenario?

Can you suggest which flow actions I can use to achieve this?  

Thanks in advance.

@aaroh_bits wrote:

@MattWeston365  ...

Thanks a ton for your wonderful suggestion. The requirement is user updates multiple news items in the same day, can flow handle this kind of scenario?

Can you suggest which flow actions I can use to achieve this?  

Thanks in advance.

You would use the When a file is created or modified if it is a file, or When an item is created or modified for a list.  The Flow would run any time a file/item was created or modified in the desired Library/List.

How many times per month your Flow can run and how often your Flow can each day depends on your Flow license. The free license allows an average of 25 Flow runs per day, and the paid plans allow between 67-500 times per day.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Hi @aaroh_bits@Brad_Groux has correctly offered guidance if you were to continue on a 1 post --> 1 run scenario.

If you have lots of posts being updated, it may be that could consolidate all of the updates into a single notficiation rather than lots of individuals. This would keep your users happy as they're not being spammed, and it also helps to keep the number of Flow runs down.

For this scenario you could use the recurrence trigger, and set it to run once per day.

From that point you can use your standard Flow actions to get the Files (properties only) where the published date/created date/modified date is within the last 24 hours.

If you have found this post useful, please give it a thumbs up. If it has answered your question, please accept it as the solution so others can benefit.

@MattWeston365

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (33,491)